2018 Secret Santa Spectacular!!!

caldigger

7 hours ago, David in Japan said:

For my friend @Bobby Ricotoo.

Culinary question: 

Is marmite still a thing? Love it or don't ?

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Still very much a thing with the same slogan. 

I love it.

Bobby recently sent me a jar as i can't get it in Morocco.

Bobby.thumb.jpg.249fcba0d16da249e2ef7061b341a7c9.jpg

5 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I am trying not to eat much bread but sometimes I do get a real hunger for Marmite Soldiers. 

3 hours ago, MSirmon said:

Finally found the triceratops I have been looking for! 

68E39FD6-E173-49C1-AEDD-9C86B195D183.jpeg

5be73bffd4f33_IMG_20180918_180339.jpg.2bc9edfe2f7d6a4f68ee7c91e1cc844a1.thumb.jpg.b861d00283540c241f45f11d7b2cd9c6.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

16 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Oh, Adam wins out for sure...snolly doesn't have a funny hat.

Only a comedy sax.;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

16 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

But you've got a saxophone! (sorry)  :raindance:

SNAP ! ! ! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

15 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Only a comedy sax.;)

and @Wrangellian

Gentlemen, playing the saxophone is serious business. "When the Jazzman's testifying, a faithless man believes..." 

Listen to the effect Tom Scott has on Carole King! Enjoy!

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

8 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

and @Wrangellian

Gentlemen, playing the saxophone is serious business. "When the Jazzman's testifying, a faithless man believes..." 

Listen to the effect Tom Scott has on Carole King! Enjoy!

Very nice.:)

Did it work on the cat? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

13 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Did it work on the cat? 

Indeed. It is reported that the euphonious tones of the preachin' sax caused the malefactor feline to change his ways.  

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I miss the use of saxophone in main stream pop music. 

The band's today just don't have the soul without some wailing sax. :(

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I liked the old Benny Hill show ending theme song... Yakety Sax.. accompanied by the chase scene of course. :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I miss the use of saxophone in main stream pop music. 

The band's today just don't have the soul without some wailing sax. :(

Yeah I agree and I really love the INXS track Never Tear us apart . A simple saxophone solo but very affective. The Video is film in one of my favourite citys Prague. 

49 minutes ago, daves64 said:

I liked the old Benny Hill show ending theme song... Yakety Sax.. accompanied by the chase scene of course. :D

That's always the first thing that comes to mind when I think of the sax! Of course all that 80s pop music comes next, and jazz... I know it can be a serious and versatile instrument, and my jibes come from someone who plays everyone's favorite instrument to pick on, the squeezebox (not the big piano-keyed accordion, mind you, but the smaller button-type and concertina). I also like banjo and sometimes bagpipes!

11 hours ago, David in Japan said:

Wow, you send a very big package.  Sending international is very expesive. For mine, i try to stay below the 500g to keep the price affordable when i can.

This time, i send a 800g priority airmail box and it just cost me 1/3 of your. Is it the canadian postal service which is only for rich people or you just send a 10 kilo ammonite?:P

A little of both. Overseas is expensive, I find. To the US is 'international' but it wouldn't have cost me quite as much to ship it there, I'm sure. But yes, we do have expensive shipping in general, and the PO workers are currently on strike, meaning it's only a short matter of time before the costs go even higher, no doubt.

The package was on the generous side but it was nowhere near 10kg! That and the necessary padding adds to the bulk. Next time I will pay closer attention to the size/weight thresholds for shipping, to keep it under whatever amount. This time I was afraid that the small items I had would not have been too impressive to the recipient (bivalves, anyone?), but next year they're going to have to love it or lump it!  I think they will be pleased with what I sent this time. Just hope they don't get too used to this size of package every year...

20181110_161929.png

I had to leave a few items out so it could all fit in this smaller size box!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

A little of both. Overseas is expensive, I find. To the US is 'international' but it wouldn't have cost me quite as much to ship it there, I'm sure. But yes, we do have expensive shipping in general, and the PO workers are currently on strike, meaning it's only a short matter of time before the costs go even higher, no doubt.

The package was on the generous side but it was nowhere near 10kg! That and the necessary padding adds to the bulk. Next time I will pay closer attention to the size/weight thresholds for shipping, to keep it under whatever amount. This time I was afraid that the small items I had would not have been too impressive to the recipient (bivalves, anyone?), but next year they're going to have to love it or lump it!  I think they will be pleased with what I sent this time. Just hope they don't get too used to this size of package every year...

Well what you could think unimpressive can be impressive for anyone living on the other side of the globe and who won't be able to go even one time in your area. I am collecting primarily bivalves so for me bivalves from all over the world are as sexy as any other fossils ( I think some other member like @Max-fossils will agree with me).  Anyway, we all selected carefully fossils from our collections and I am 100% that international member will be over excited with what we receive, so don't worry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

*send's @caldigger a "do it yourself" fossil kit* (a box full of miss-matched chicken bones, a couple turkey bones, a few squirrel bones, a couple shells & a mouse tooth, dirt, clay & a timer with a minimum setting of 15 million years)  Should confuse someone in the future... :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

5 hours ago, daves64 said:

*send's @caldigger a "do it yourself" fossil kit* (a box full of miss-matched chicken bones, a couple turkey bones, a few squirrel bones, a couple shells & a mouse tooth, dirt, clay & a timer with a minimum setting of 15 million years)  Should confuse someone in the future... :D

I don't know humans will still be around there. Should shorten the timer to 150 year, just to be sure:ninja:

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

6 hours ago, daves64 said:

Oh man, this sounds a lot like the "do-it-yoursself" coprolite kit I just sent off to you. 

It might take a while, cause everything is real fresh. :blink: 

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 hours ago, David in Japan said:

Well what you could think unimpressive can be impressive for anyone living on the other side of the globe and who won't be able to go even one time in your area. I am collecting primarily bivalves so for me bivalves from all over the world are as sexy as any other fossils ( I think some other member like @Max-fossils will agree with me).  Anyway, we all selected carefully fossils from our collections and I am 100% that international member will be over excited with what we receive, so don't worry.

This is true.

Spoiler alert: Next year it's a bunch of small bivalves!  Maybe some pet wood too...

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Oh man, this sounds a lot like the "do-it-yoursself" coprolite kit I just sent off to you. 

It might take a while, cause everything is real fresh. :blink: 

Not quite do it yourself but readymade made kit. I am glad you never came up this idea last SS. :)

4 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

This is true.

Spoiler alert: Next year it's a bunch of small bivalves!  Maybe some pet wood too...

Or just one micro in a gem jar.

(Entire package weighs about 3 grams)

:hearty-laugh:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Not quite do it yourself but readymade made kit. I am glad you never came up this idea last SS. :)

Darn!  I knew I forgot something in that package!!!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Or just one micro in a gem jar.

(Entire package weighs about 3 grams)

:hearty-laugh:

Yeah I probably wouldn't get away with that!  :rofl:

1 minute ago, Wrangellian said:

Yeah I probably wouldn't get away with that!  :rofl:

You're right, weighs too much!

Send it on a postcard hidden under the stamp. The receiver can feel like a government spy retrieving a bit of microfilm.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Darn!  I knew I forgot something in that package!!!

Best laid plans. :D