How does ammolite grading system works and where to find ammolite gems?

Aisopia

I saw some was sold in an online fossil retailer, and some are for sale in two other ammolite retail shops. Is there anywhere else I could obtain specimens crafted by S. Carbone, if not directly from him (and preferably online)? Also, ammolite grading system are quite confusing, I tried to read "Spring 2001 Gems & Gemology", but I still can't quite grasp what features would separate them to different grades, e.g in Korite's collections, I saw some multicolor, high saturation specimens graded as A whist Lower saturation specimens where some colors are difficult to notice are graded as AA (I know there still  isn't a universal, agreed upon grading system for ammolite gems, but still...) . I know this post isn't quite fitting for this forum but I want to seek help as far wide as possible.

and for reference, what grade would this be?: 

Loose+Gemston++(2).png

Edited by Aisopia

Here is a link to another article that describes characteristics for each grade. Some characteristics such as view angles probable can’t be determined by a photo alone; video maybe.

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/ammolite-jewelry-gem-information/

Here is the Gems and Gemology article mentioned above:

https://www.gia.edu/doc/Iridescent-Fossilized-Ammonite-from-Southern-Alberta-Canada.pdf

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Here is a link to another article that describes characteristics for each grade. Some characteristics such as view angles probable can’t be determined by a photo alone; video maybe.

Yes I have try to request a video from the retailer who is selling this loose gem, but whoever that is haven't reply yet. So if its fine, could I get an approx evaluation? The website to the product mention would be here: [link removed]

You are probably better off going somewhere where you can look at the piece in person. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

15 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You are probably better off going somewhere where you can look at the piece in person. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I would love to, but unfortunately, I'm in a country where ammolite isn't well-known, and I can't reliably trust the ones that are for sale here, as they are either made from shards, faux, or reselling products from etsy for 5 times the price

Edited by Aisopia
trying to add more context

3 hours ago, Aisopia said:

Yes I have try to request a video from the retailer who is selling this loose gem, but whoever that is haven't reply yet. So if its fine, could I get an approx evaluation? 

As per forum rules, we do not provide valuations. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• Fossildude19 changed the title to How does ammolite grading system works and where to find ammolite gems?

We also do not provide  recommendations for where to purchase fossils on the open boards.
Feel free to PM the OP. with any suggestions.

Also, because Ammolite is more of a Gemstone than a fossil, we don't really discuss the grading system here.

Please see HERE for information on ammolite grading. 

TOPIC LOCKED.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic