Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2020!

britishcanuk

9 hours ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

I could hear my arteries hardening as I read this. :heartylaugh:

Tom

What do your arteries say when you see this ?:P

Afficher l’image source

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

1 hour ago, fifbrindacier said:

What do your arteries say when you see this ?:P

Afficher l’image source

Cholesterol be damned! Full speed ahead! YUM!!!!!

• I found this Informative 1

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

4 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

@DPS Ammonite asked me some precisions and i edited my post. He also precised the measures. Maybe Olb is english and lb american ?

10 g=0.022 lb or 1 tb

400 g=0.88 lb

200 ml=0.84 US cup

Close, lbs is the American term.

16 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

Nice hippopotamus amphibius vert from the ipswichian of norfolk

FDC3131C-9B52-4D10-AF8B-9275EBFC6638.jpeg

39D4E5A9-2B7E-4960-8121-4B58B92454B9.jpeg

AE9EBB79-C56D-42B4-8D46-0C04787793FD.jpeg

Nice! Cool piece!

30 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

That’s nice indeed   :envy: 
I found a few nice bits from Norfolk but a hippopotamus vert it on the rarer side. Good buy Will. 

cheers Bobby 

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

That’s nice indeed   :envy: 
I found a few nice bits from Norfolk but a hippopotamus vert it on the rarer side. Good buy Will. 

cheers Bobby 

Thanks Bobby, I like it too:) 

9 hours ago, will stevenson said:

I’ll be honest, I’ve never seen or heard of hippo fossils before, so this is incredibly amazing to me! Nice acquisition!

On 12/3/2020 at 12:46 PM, Monica said:

Whenever Derek teases me about my fossil obsession collection, I counter with the fact that at least MY collection is based on something that's REAL. :P

WHAT, how can you say Star Wars isn't real?! I've seen all the documentaries and they look real to me :thumbsu:

10 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I’ll be honest, I’ve never seen or heard of hippo fossils before, so this is incredibly amazing to me! Nice acquisition!

Thanks! They’re quite hard to get your hands on:)

8 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

WHAT, how can you say Star Wars isn't real?! I've seen all the documentaries and they look real to me :thumbsu:

Mmm hmmm...

:P

Finally some new stuff. A superb KemKem package, thx @Haravex:)

Two Carcharodontosaurid teeth, some beautiful color scheme there :) 

Carch2.jpg.dedc5af864ee730bd720fd6a84e7b71d.jpg

Rebbachisaurid tooth. Finally I can add a Reb teeth. Until now I only got Titanosaurids from KemKem

Rab.thumb.jpg.834e57d64a972a07b42c22f07288192e.jpg

Spinosaurid caudal vertebrae, I really like that there is still some small part of the neural process present :) 

As much as I got Dino teeth, this is finally my first Dino bone. Really happy about it

2.59 inches

Spino1.jpg.108519c9ff6ad7244e16855675cf87e9.jpgSpino2.thumb.jpg.71193a367eea2155ca757559d3049162.jpg

A big 11 inch right side ischium from Elosuchus cherifiensis

@Haravex packed it really really really well but still shipping company managed to damage it :DOH:

Croc3.thumb.jpg.7162a594ab701d21f0bdbbb36a0ac1e0.jpg

But I could fix it :) 

Croc1.thumb.jpg.04e43c1c4b4971c9a0df63430fa52fd5.jpgCroc2.thumb.jpg.424bca47c7e15074db26687f2e1c64aa.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

19 minutes ago, Abstraktum said:

Finally some new stuff. A superb KemKem package,

Nice stuff and mixture.  Those big flat bones are very hard to ship since they are not very solid.  It looks like it will go back together with minimal repair.   I find that double boxing gives it the best chance but creates a big box that is more expensive to ship.  Its a cool bone.  Congrats on everything 

8 hours ago, Abstraktum said:

Carch2.jpg.dedc5af864ee730bd720fd6a84e7b71d.jpg

Those Carch teeth are gorgeous.

5 hours ago, Abstraktum said:

Rebbachisaurid tooth. Finally I can add a Reb teeth. Until now I only got Titanosaurids from KemKem

Spinosaurid caudal vertebrae, I really like that there is still some small part of the neural process present :) 

As much as I got Dino teeth, this is finally my first Dino bone. Really happy about it

2.59 inches

A big 11 inch right side ischium from Elosuchus cherifiensis

@Haravex packed it really really really well but still shipping company managed to damage it :DOH:

But I could fix it :) 

I'm glad you are happy with the teeth and vert, just still annoyed it had to end up damaged.

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice stuff and mixture.  Those big flat bones are very hard to ship since they are not very solid.  It looks like it will go back together with minimal repair.   I find that double boxing gives it the best chance but creates a big box that is more expensive to ship.  Its a cool bone.  Congrats on everything 

It looks like the bottom of the box has either been dropped, had something really heavy on it ...or kicked. But I might try this box inside a box for future pieces 

1 hour ago, Haravex said:

It looks like the bottom of the box has either been dropped, had something really heavy on it ...or kicked. But I might try this box inside a box for future pieces 

Not an easy solution and there are no guarantees.  When I have a big bone prepped I usually pick them up, hard to do with an online business.   The prep person does not want to ship bigger bones they have tried everything.  To many gorillas out there.

@Haravex packed the fossiles very very well, multiple layers of styrofoam, the fossils itsself also very very well packed. Nothing wrong here. I couldn't do it better. If it would have been handled properly, nothing would have happend. Of course, if you throw it around, anything can break. I'm just glad the Spino Vert and the Carch teeth are unharmed. 

Well, picking up the fossils in person is right now in Europe just not possible lol.

However I would be happy to meet anyone from TFF in person :)  

Got a nice chunk of triceratops skull with a nifty stand made out of hadrosaurid bone. I think it might be horridus rather than prorsus though 

005D2061-272C-4861-B01F-BE90482F0A48.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Not an easy solution and there are no guarantees.  When I have a big bone prepped I usually pick them up, hard to do with an online business.   The prep person does not want to ship bigger bones they have tried everything.  To many gorillas out there.

Reminds me of this now very un PC American Tourister commercial:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-e96m4730

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

For shipping bigger flat breakable items (if cost wasn't too much more) after really wrapping the object I tape pieces of wood on either/both sides to help prevent flexing. Not always an option but something to think about. But even gorillas can break boards so not even that can stop them! I even seen boxes with no real damage have broken stuff :zzzzscratchchin: Always wonder how they can break some stuff????

Glad you were able to repair

3 hours ago, musicnfossils said:

Got a nice chunk of triceratops skull with a nifty stand made out of hadrosaurid bone. I think it might be horridus rather than prorsus though 

005D2061-272C-4861-B01F-BE90482F0A48.jpeg

T. prorsus and T. horridus are from different times tho. T. horridus is the earlier species. If it's found in layers that has T. prorsus then it can't be T. horridus.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

17 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

T. prorsus and T. horridus are from different times tho. T. horridus is the earlier species. If it's found in layers that has T. prorsus then it can't be T. horridus.

I don’t know much about lance fm but apparently horridus is found there so it that’s the case that would make this bone horridus, if I’m wrong feel free to link me to some info that’d make it easier since I won’t have to swap the label lol 

In the Hell Creek Fm,  T. prorsus is found in the upper layer of the Formation and T. horridus in the lowermost layer so they are stratigraphically separated.  A transitional form is in the middle. ( Denver Fowler et al ) 2014. 

Paper goes on to say neighboring coeval formations (Lance) exhibit morphologies consistent with their stratigraphic position to the  HCF.

So if one cannot determine what layer it was found and no nasal horns are present, there is no way to determine which species it is and its best described Triceratops sp.  

Let me also say the other possibility is Torosaurus which is present.   I dont know how to distinguish the lacrimals between these genus but paleontologist Denver Fowler might.  I would email him.   

• I found this Informative 2

I don't usually buy fossils but I've developed recently an interest in petrified wood.  I can't collect specimens like this in MD/VA.  The below pictures show two different lots of petrified wood coming from Indonesia.  The first (8.7 kg total) is in the mail.  The second (10.7 kg) is being shipped.  My fingers are crossed that these make it to me with the Christmas rush on.  I really only wanted a couple of pieces in each lot but got a much better deal buying the whole lot.

5fccd7b5d0f26_PolishedPetrifiedWood-Indonesia9.thumb.jpg.192a4f330e8ec3b615fb896d91d77a73.jpg

5fccd7b3c1c19_PolishedPetrifiedWood-Indonesia2.thumb.jpg.2a680360e1d37b7a90a5635b471619bd.jpg

5fccd7b9cdc28_PolishedPetrifiedWoodIndonesia27.thumb.jpg.b7e106bc4c88cff9c8411fcd893516fe.jpg

5fccd7b7a14ed_PolishedPetrifiedWoodIndonesia25.thumb.jpg.481c080812b36bf8903d0d5a06bba0bc.jpg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 8

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

That's some pretty pet wood. Larger than I'd expected as I can see from looking at the images with a hand for scale. Great looking polished slabs.

Cheers.

-Ken