Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2021!

FF7_Yuffie

Interesting. So the gray spot at the top is a darker inclusion rather than a place where paint chipped off then. I've seen people paint in the outlines of poorly preserved Green River Formation fishes or stain the rock to enhance footprint trace fossils and wondered if this was some "enhancement" but its just chalkiness. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

15 minutes ago, digit said:

Interesting. So the gray spot at the top is a darker inclusion rather than a place where paint chipped off then. I've seen people paint in the outlines of poorly preserved Green River Formation fishes or stain the rock to enhance footprint trace fossils and wondered if this was some "enhancement" but its just chalkiness. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Yes it’s a darker inclusion, on the back there is a brachiopod :), I don’t think that painting a specimen would add to it, i hope that’s not too common practice

cheers

will

7BFA4DE4-4564-4C6E-B54F-28803440CFE8.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

5 hours ago, digit said:

Cheers.

-Ken

I guess you could say you can chalk it up to chalkiness :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

7 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I guess you could say you can chalk it up to chalkiness :heartylaugh:

:DOH:

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

3 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I guess you could say you can chalk it up to chalkiness 

You said it not me (for once). :P

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

These are my latest mailbox scores: 

Viperfish (Eurypholis sp.) from Lebanon: 

large.DSCN7561.JPG

Mioplosus from the Green River Formation: 

large.DSCN7537.JPG

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 10

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Some fossil agatized black coral pieces and a few more petrified wood slabs in the mail from Indonesia.

Nice! Tammy picked up a necklace pendant when we were in Bali a decade back. Came from really nice silicified corals that they find uplifted in the highlands. Look really pretty cut into cabs and polished.

Cheers.

-Ken

6 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Viperfish from Lebanon: 

large.DSCN7561.JPG

large.DSCN7537.JPG

I like the mio, I have an almost complete one in my collection I found a few years back. The viperfish is gnarly, seems like they're mostly teeth! Nice acquisitions. 

• Thank You 1

These arrived today: Carcharocles chubutensis from Peru, Carcharocles auriculatus from Kazakhstan, and Squalicorax bassani from Morocco.

C91661EF-35C1-42DE-BCEE-AC303F58E23E.thumb.jpeg.a6e2e3d303b8db47f6b9980b72d4986f.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

16 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Some fossil agatized black coral pieces and a few more petrified wood slabs in the mail from Indonesia.

602bd666b19c5_13RaditPermataIndBlackCoral5a.jpg.ab4b5ee7ed61365af0e8ac185f627cda.jpg

Marco Sr.

Very showy stuff! Do you know much about this stuff (the geology etc)? I have a couple small pieces but it's not quite the same as yours, and I wish I knew more about it. I don't know how many different areas or formations it comes from or anything like that, so my labels have several questions marks.

20 hours ago, digit said:

Nice! Tammy picked up a necklace pendant when we were in Bali a decade back. Came from really nice silicified corals that they find uplifted in the highlands. Look really pretty cut into cabs and polished.

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken

A lot of agatized Indonesian coral gets turned into cabs and other jewelry.  The agatized coral can have vivid natural colors.  However, to get higher prices for their coral, some vivid red, yellow, black etc. Indonesian coral has been dyed by soaking the coral in different chemicals.  I'm not sure how to tell the natural from the dyed agatized coral.

Marco Sr.

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Very showy stuff! Do you know much about this stuff (the geology etc)? I have a couple small pieces but it's not quite the same as yours, and I wish I knew more about it. I don't know how many different areas or formations it comes from or anything like that, so my labels have several questions marks.

Unfortunately I don't usually get much data on the different pieces that I buy from Indonesia.  From what I have read the Indonesian agatized coral is Miocene in age.  You might check out the following link: 

https://www.indoagate.com/coral2.html

The following are experts from the above link:

"Fossil Corals have been found in several provinces across the western Indonesian Islands of Sumatra and Java. These materials are the buried remnants of ancients reefs thrust up onto the land mass by plate collisions. They lie situated in the mountainous regions of the Bukit Barisan Range from central to southern Sumatra and the rugged mountains of western and eastern Java. In east Indonesia, there are fossil corals found on remote mountainous parts of Halmahera Island."

"During preservation, the original calcium carbonate of the coral skeletons reacted with silica bearing fluids of volcanic origins. Geochemical studies have documented cases of hydrothermal (hot water) deposition of copper, iron, zinc and silver along with the silica.............. Low temperature silica minerals like opal and chalcedony (Agate) are the most common components of the fossilized coral. Some fine and micro-crystal aggregates (druse) or quartz have filled pockets in the leached portions of the stone. Some druses filled the channels which housed the soft parts of the coraline critters and were later cemented with clear agate causing the polished surfaces to glitter."

"Locally there are pyrite crystals and other minerals disseminated in the agate which enhances the attractiveness and defines the structure of the original coral species. "

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

12 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Love the Peruvian Chub!!

Thanks! I’ve been looking for a good one and this one checked the boxes with the right “Chubutensis” look from a neat location. My next one will hopefully be one I find myself from the Calvert Cliffs. :)

On 2/16/2021 at 7:33 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Viperfish (Eurypholis sp.) from Lebanon: 

large.DSCN7561.JPG

large.DSCN7537.JPG

They’re both beauties, but that viperfish is magnificent! :wub: 

• Thank You 1

9 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

A lot of agatized Indonesian coral gets turned into cabs and other jewelry.  The agatized coral can have vivid natural colors.  However, to get higher prices for their coral, some vivid red, yellow, black etc. Indonesian coral has been dyed by soaking the coral in different chemicals.  I'm not sure how to tell the natural from the dyed agatized coral.

Tammy's cab was a nice faint pinkish color as I recall. Really a pretty piece. I need to see if she can locate it and I'll snap a photo to show what this material looks like in a jewelry setting.

Cheers.

-Ken

I got some matrix in the mail today. Two different Cretaceous formations from Texas, Aguja and Atco. I’m trying very hard to finish up a couple of our shark displays and micros are a great way to do that. 

I didn’t bother photographing the matrix but instead some of the teeth I’ve already found from the Aguja. Restesia  and Lonchidion were the target species so yay ! 

20654335-DC35-41AC-8014-836E70FBE053.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

So I got this package with some really nice Kem Kem fossils in my mailbox this week.

First of: Rooted crocodile tooth. I'm not certain of the species yet but I hope I'll be able to find it out.

image.png.011969edf72f171ac6665286550cd236.png

The next one has to be my favourite fossil in my collection so far. A partial associated crocodile tail with 10 vertebrae and multiple scutes. Something went wrong with the shipping of this piece, which resulted in this piece seeing more continents than I have. But eventually it finally arrived at the prep bench of @Haravex, who did a truely amazing job on freeing this piece of it's stone jacket. 

image.png.bbe25c3110d60d65e3edd7d413d92092.pngimage.png.80803d978eb879d0ce75e21633161038.pngimage.png.409371257f853297376f817153628ba0.png

And here is a before picture:

image.png.7ef684e78681b555d4dca1a11b8a676b.png

Last one is a huge, 6 cm pterosaur tooth. They very rarely seem to get to this size.

image.png.7b223028bdeb9a667f5348bf23d7814c.png

• Enjoyed 7

A few recent auction wins, since we can’t get out collecting...

Partial Plesiosaur Humerus
Ichthyosaur Vertebra

Three small Ichthyosaur Verts

Three Pyrite Ammonite Promicroceras

All from Lyme Regis area

B882BB76-BA30-485D-8039-EBEA46C4DA53.jpeg

0A63125B-2D4F-4F94-8525-FDE86C2BE57B.jpeg

896B7957-BFDD-46D3-924D-E7391FFFE242.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Double Hadrosaur egg nest.

Cretaceous.

Thanks to @Troodonfor tutorial on eggs. It helped a lot.

eggs 003.JPG

hadro 002.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Heya!

Just today, my first EVER mailbox score arrived! A 40 million year old Baltic amber piece, with a scuttle fly (phoridae) inside! It passed the tests I did for legitimate amber, so it's the real deal! Attached picture has a magnified image of it under the amber. Oh also, over 45 pyritised ammonites from Lyme Regis, UK, came, and my, am I in love!

IMG_20210220_125247795-01.thumb.jpeg.989e837aa47a8d1c5c1963805dafcbc1.jpeg 

These three aren't in the above picture, as I believe they deserve their own one... Needless to say, they're my favourites - they're perfect on both of their sides!!! Ignore the blurriness, I have a very shaky hand... :BigSmile:

IMG_20210220_130320369-01.thumb.jpeg.8fc924fbb92f4239268978cb0b890b9b.jpeg

• Enjoyed 4
  • I Agree 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Also, how isn't this topic pinned yet!? 240 pages and still going strong, wow!

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Amazing fossils! Petrified wood, fish, shark teeth, vertebrae more teeth dinosaur eggs, amber and pyritized ammonites!

8 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Also, how isn't this topic pinned yet!? 240 pages and still going strong, wow!

Its always at the top anyway ;)

• I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)