What Is Your Favorite Fossil?

Guest bmorefossil

it's real.

t came from the natural history museum in stuttgart (and from the holzmaden formation before that ;) )

wow! thats awesome! awesome piece!

Jake.

Note for Hybotus: Back on page 7 of this there was a discussion of where Edestus species were found and I found where they were discovered in Eastern Kansas. Here is an abstract http://www.oceansofkansas.com/KAS2004.html (its about 3/4 down the first author is Hamm)

Hey Bowkill - thanks for the info - man am I behind on reading posts!!

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorites are the shark denticles that I found....

I am fascinated with them.

post-13-1246745533_thumb.jpg

Some of the fossils I have seen on this forum

rate right at the top too!

Welcome to the forum!

Saichania (l) and Pinacosaurus

Impressive stuff! Makes anything I have look weak.

Why did that Velociraptor skull "get away"?

Why did that Velociraptor skull "get away"?

simple math.

(the sum cost of things i wouldnt mind owning) > (the net amount of money i have, or will earn)

heh.

simple math.

(the sum cost of things i wouldnt mind owning) > (the net amount of money i have, or will earn)

heh.

I figured, but wasn't sure if there was something else.

That certainly is near the top of a list for "ones that got away" though!

post-1296-1246904884_thumb.jpgHi all, i loved looking at all the members collections, they are fantastic!!! just wanted to add a couple of my ammonites from my collection, the first one is an eparietites ammonite from the frodingham ironstone formation scunthorpe england, the second ammonite, its like a canonball!!! is a cadoceras sublaeve from wiltshire england, i hope you like them, post-1296-1246905024_thumb.jpgbest regards, carlo

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Smilodon

Two of the Three greatest fossils ever found, I don't care what anybody says :P They aren't mine :( but there is still time.

post-2027-12553949395015_thumb.jpg

Sabercat skull with saber through the humerus of another sabercat

State Museum of Nebraska

post-2027-12553948906787_thumb.jpg

Fish in a fish

Sternberg Museum

• 6 months later...

Kind of a sentimental favorite. I collected this huge Mammoth tooth in NE Broward County (Parkland) Florida, which makes it a very very rare find. It was collected from the surface layer which was wet swamp muck; so that it had not disintigrated like the other fossils we found there is another rarety. In fact, it was found in three pieces so I did the repair. Finally, I was collecting with a good friend who is a Geologist and eagle eye lucky when it comes to finding any fossil...which made my finding it add the sauce to make this my favorite.

post-1313-12718074434503_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

whats the size on the thing it looks huge!

8"X4"X12" :D

Kind of a sentimental favorite. I collected this huge Mammoth tooth in NE Broward County (Parkland) Florida, which makes it a very very rare find. It was collected from the surface layer which was wet swamp muck; so that it had not disintigrated like the other fossils we found there is another rarety. In fact, it was found in three pieces so I did the repair. Finally, I was collecting with a good friend who is a Geologist and eagle eye lucky when it comes to finding any fossil...which made my finding it add the sauce to make this my favorite.

post-1313-12718074434503_thumb.jpg

What did you use to stabilize it Frank? Was it waterlogged?

John

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy

When I found it the tooth was in three pieces, having been deligated to a spoil pile ala bulldozer. It had a lot of water in it so I first set the pieces out for a few days till they dried. I then reattached the sections using good ol ELMER'S GLUE. Finally I lightly sprayed the piece with KRYLON FIXATIF. I like that because there is no gobby thick layers of preservative so it looks much more natural.

I also used it on this tusk I found in WPB.

post-1313-12721443150961_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone! I am new here and just joined yesterday. Here is one of my favorite fossils. My favorite is a complete, fully agitized Miasaura vertebra. It is about 17" tall with all three processes, nice big centrum. I'll try to get pics on later of that. Here are pictures of my newest. It is a Spinosaurus jaw section with a fully rooted (almost) 7" tooth. You can see one small tooth under the jaw that never came out. I love being able to see the root.

post-3146-12723207690841_thumb.jpg

post-3146-12723207784025_thumb.jpg

...a Spinosaurus jaw section with a fully rooted (almost) 7" tooth. You can see one small tooth under the jaw that never came out. I love being able to see the root.

Niiiiiiiiiice fossil :wub:

Dang that displays well!

Welcome to the Forum :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Dang that displays well!

Welcome to the Forum :)

One thing I love about it is that it displays well. :)

Thanks for the welcome!

• 1 month later...

Hey I recognize that pair of seal (?) jaws. Didn't the great RJB himself sjow those on the old CAlif Fos Firum?

Asking for a favorite fossil... geez, that's like asking for a favorite Grateful Dead song... depends on the mood. I've tried to post pix on here before with miserable (failed) results, but one of my many faves is this Leptictis skelton I collectesd and prepped about 15 yrs ago. This thing inspired me to buy an air abrasive machine and all that goes with it. I hope these attachments work

I'm still getting the hang of this forum. My last comment was regarding the seal jaws Boesse posted on page one of this thread. As for posting pix, looks like I have no idea how to do it. So, there's this Lepticits skelton in my collection. When I found it I saw just a cross section of one tail vert sticking out of the cliff. I went to collect it and the pice that broke off showed an articulated series of tail verts. It turned into a comlete skeelton. Wicked cool. The croc jaw that I won't show pix of either is also one of my faves. Both took about 100 hrs of per to make them look good.