What Is Your Favorite Fossil?

Guest bmorefossil

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but did you buy it or collect it?

ed

Certainly no offense taken; I'm a shameless buyer (not that I have many options, since (1) I specialize in bird fossils, and (2) I work 80 hours a week. Maybe someday...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is what I would loooove to have in my collection but don't ..... and I think it's abvious why :-)

It's Edestus giganteus and from the tip of any of the teeth to the bottom of the jaw is over 5 inches. The entire piece is about 10-11 inches long. It's in the American Museum iof Natural History Collection and I believe to date it's the only specimen of Edestus giganteus found.

Guest bmorefossil

for a second there i thought it was yours i had to look for a second and then saw what you wrote above, lol yes i would love to have one as well

Given what I've seen of his collection, I wouldn't have been all that surprised if it was his!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

very very nice what is the first fossil if i may ask?

Dire wolf upper jaw . :)

It's my bone!!!

.. forgot to upload :-)

Wow, that Edestus is spectacular. :o

Here's another one of my favorite teeth, it's a 4 15/16" meg from Meherrin River, NC.

Bourlette is intact, which in itself is pretty rare. I love the color on this one.

Thanks,

Eddie

post-476-1215479432_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215479442_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215479452_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

Here's another one of my favorite teeth, it's a 4 15/16" meg from Meherrin River, NC.

Bourlette is intact, which in itself is pretty rare. I love the color on this one.

Thanks,

Eddie

yea i love the red teeth for some reason and i like the red teeth with the brown or black roots even more, great tooth!!!!

and i just noticed that your root has those stretch like markings on it, i like it even more lol

When it comes to large V-shaped bourlette's, I get weak in the knees! :wub: The bourlette itself is my favorite part of any meg tooth, followed of course by sharp serrations. I also like nutrient whole's that are usually dead center location of the root. I also like the roots that have those rare nubs on the sides.

I also like smooth enamel that is free of the stress cracks. I also... well I guess the question is, what don't I like about shark teeth? ;)

Thanks,

Eddie

This tooth looks mighty familiar, wasn't it pictured/featured in the book, Megalodon- Hunting the Hunter?

This tooth looks mighty familiar, wasn't it pictured/featured in the book, Megalodon- Hunting the Hunter?

Thanks everyone. The tooth wasn't in the book, but I did get it from the diver who found a few of the similarly colored

teeth pictured in the book. That's a great book, btw, some unbelievable teeth in there. My book fell apart after a couple months, though.

Either I wore it out looking at it so much or the printer didn't bind it very well. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

Eddie

no i dont own it, is it worth getting?

Definitely worth the money if you like looking at shark teeth, especially some big-time teeth from some big-name

collectors. I just wish it didn't fall apart so soon!

Thanks,

Eddie

I bought one to read, and another one to store away. I was lucky enough to get signed copies from the author.

Definitely worth the money if you like looking at shark teeth, especially some big-time teeth from some big-name

collectors. I just wish it didn't fall apart so soon!

Thanks,

Eddie

This book is a "must have" for anyone with an interest in fossil shark teeth. The book contains some of the most spectacular photos of shark teeth that have been published. Fortunately, I've not had any problem with the book coming apart.

post-213-1215569474_thumb.jpg

I have a few specimens of Edestus heinrichi in my collection and attached is a pic of the best - enjoy!

That is exquisite! (And I don't even know what it is).

Guest bmorefossil
post-213-1215569474_thumb.jpg

I have a few specimens of Edestus heinrichi in my collection and attached is a pic of the best - enjoy!

wow that is great!!!!

Very attractive display fossil! Looks a bit like a Scaphite I have from the Fox Hills (Upper Maastrichtian, Late Cretaceous).