What Is Your Favorite Fossil?

Guest bmorefossil

ok well what would you like to find?

Not to put words in his mouth, but I'm betting on "The next one I find". A lot of the joy is in the hunt (and the discovery).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0550.jpg

This is my favorite. A 3 lb or so hunk of triceratops frill. I still love looking at the grooves and thinking that over 65 million years ago, blood was flowing along them.

Guest bmorefossil

wow thats a great fossil, people around here dont pick up bone and i think its stupid bone is great and you never know what you will get untill you pick it up. So unlike other people i pick up all the bone that i find.

I have many favorites, but this one is definitely high on the list. I included the tooth on the left for comparison. The tooth on the left is 6.12"/15.54cm - the tooth on the right is 7"+/17.81cm. There is no restoration whatsoever on either tooth - Bahía Inglesa Formation, near Caldera, Chile.

Oop, forgot to upload :-) I have many favorites, but this one is definitely high on the list. I included the tooth on the left for comparison. The tooth on the left is 6.12"/15.54cm - the tooth on the right is 7"+/17.81cm. There is no restoration whatsoever on either tooth - Bahía Inglesa Formation, near Caldera, Chile.

post-92-1214012964_thumb.jpg

OMG! 7"+? That's just mythical; I cannot even imagine what it would be like to hold something like that.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil

wow.......wow...... i think you have everyones favorite fossil right there!!!!! but i have to ask where do those crazy colored megs fit on your list?

wow.......wow...... i think you have everyones favorite fossil right there!!!!! but i have to ask where do those crazy colored megs fit on your list?

They're right up there :-), all the red ones came from the same trip to the collecting locality called 'Las Tres Piramides' in the Ica River Valley, South of Ica, Peru. The color is not an exaggeration and when I first saw them I was just shocked. I can only imagine what's still in the ground there ...

Hello,

My favorites fossiles are :

fossil007jw4.th.jpg

fossil008tt9.th.jpg

fossil004rb5.th.jpg

Holy Guacamole, Batman, those are some seriously gorgeous and stunningly prepared trilobites!

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

i like ammonites i only own one but it has some nice color

i'll give you some..if you want to :rolleyes::)

sig.jpg

A couple of my favorite trilobites.

This is the rare Gravicalymene truncatus. I collected this molt under a stomotoporoid. I'm thinking the critter was hiding there after undergoing ecdysis.

It is from the Millersburg Mb of the Lexington Lm., Ordovician

post-179-1212879882_thumb.jpg

This one suffered, what I think, is a fatal bite to the head. It is an Isotelus gigas collected from a friends farm that produced a few Isotelus. Claysferry Fm., Ordovician

post-179-1212880080_thumb.jpg

i love trilobite too... i have a little one..

and it was a gift from my father costumer,

but my father gave it to his old friend.. :( hiks..hikss...

sig.jpg

Picking my favorite was difficult, so I went with favorite and unusual. The crinoid was preserved in the upright position. I know that is hard to believe so I have included a before preparation picture so that everyone can see that it is not mounted. There is a local professor that wants to write a paper on this specimen because of it's unusual preservation. It is Reteocrinus alveolatus from the Verulam formation of Ontario, Canada. I was splitting shale and it broke in three place before I realize what it was. At first I thought it was only a concretion in the shale. When I realized it was a crinoid I was so upset because I thought I ruined it. After I put the pieces back together and realized that nothing was missing I was estatic.

crinus

post-391-1214316682_thumb.jpgpost-391-1214316720_thumb.jpg

Picking my favorite was difficult, so I went with favorite and unusual. The crinoid was preserved in the upright position. I know that is hard to believe so I have included a before preparation picture so that everyone can see that it is not mounted. There is a local professor that wants to write a paper on this specimen because of it's unusual preservation. It is Reteocrinus alveolatus from the Verulam formation of Ontario, Canada. I was splitting shale and it broke in three place before I realize what it was. At first I thought it was only a concretion in the shale. When I realized it was a crinoid I was so upset because I thought I ruined it. After I put the pieces back together and realized that nothing was missing I was estatic.

crinus

post-391-1214316682_thumb.jpg post-391-1214316720_thumb.jpg

That's an absolutely fantastic specimen!!

Drool City, baby! That is a great story-behind-the-specimen, too.

Some spectacular fossils in this thread!

There's no way I can pick one favorite, but this is one of my favorite meg teeth. It's a killer shape, great color (yellow/tan blade and white bourlette), sharp, etc. And has those neat "nubs" on either side where root meets the blade. It's 4 1/4" long and 4" wide. (Sorry for the blurry picture of the flat side.)

Thanks,

Eddie

post-476-1214436315_thumb.jpg

post-476-1214436321_thumb.jpg

post-476-1214436327_thumb.jpg

post-476-1214436336_thumb.jpg

There is no way we're going to let you get away without some background on this drooler!

Where's it from?

Guest bmorefossil

wow what a great tooth, its interesting for the way it goes from being a skinny to wide so fast, i love those teeth with the little nubs. The tooth looks like lee creek

wow what a great tooth, its interesting for the way it goes from being a skinny to wide so fast, i love those teeth with the little nubs. The tooth looks like lee creek

Thanks guys. Yes, it's a Lee Creek tooth. I didn't find it myself, but I believe the color indicates it's from the Pungo River formation, which means it's an "early" (ie, Miocene) meg. So I guess it is a very big tooth relative to the

geological time in which the shark existed.

Thanks,

Eddie