What Is Your Favorite Fossil?

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil
The ones I have come across have been in situ. They are definitely Miocene 10mya give or take. They are soft like most of the fossil wood in the cliffs. It doesn't petrify or hasn't yet. I haven't found a great way to preserve them...when they dry they tend to fall all apart.

oh yea i just let that stuff be, i want one that is solid lol

...I haven't found a great way to preserve them...when they dry they tend to fall all apart.

Pickle them in a jar with several changes of alcohol, like a lab specimen, then handle the jar as little as possible.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'll give that a try. Thanks. I'd like to find a way to preserve them outside of a jar too so they can be handled.

You could experiment with an alcohol-based resin. The pickling in alcohol (over time) will disperse the water without the cone drying out. You might be able to get it to soak up enough thinned shellac to stabilize it. Worth a try?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

For me, it's no-contest. A fully inflated oligocene bird egg from St. Gerand le Puy (France). It is on a matrix of "indusial limestone", which is composed entirely of caddisfly larva tubes (Phryganea), which are constructed of pin-head-sized snail shells. There is also a bird bone on the matrix, which may or may not have anything to do with the egg. The whole shebang is limned in a coat of travertine.

It is the best looking bird fossil in my display, but it is my favorite because of the research involved in figuring it all out; when it all came together, my pulse rate definately went off the charts!

Man that's really interesting, Auspex!!! Are you attempting to specialize in this "type-set" (birds/eggs)? Not that you throw everything else back, but is that your focus / main interest?

Man that's really interesting, Auspex!!! Are you attempting to specialize in this "type-set" (birds/eggs)? Not that you throw everything else back, but is that your focus / main interest?

Thanks! Yes, I am specializing in bird fossils; kind of fell into it by default. I own a birding & nature shop, and thought it would be cool to have a couple Green River tracks and feathers on display. This rekindled a dormant fossil collecting lust, and...well, let's just say I got a little carried away. :D

Thanks! Yes, I am specializing in bird fossils; kind of fell into it by default. I own a birding & nature shop, and thought it would be cool to have a couple Green River tracks and feathers on display. This rekindled a dormant fossil collecting lust, and...well, let's just say I got a little carried away. :D

Neat. Then this is right up your alley.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say my favorite fossil is the Trilobite we got from Coal County Oklahoma from Bob Carroll , he was kind enough to let us hunt his quarry .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

• 1 month later...
Guest bmorefossil

i figure i would bring this topic back up for all the new members to post in, obsessed1 WHERE ARE YOU, shouldnt your skull be in here (=

Guest bmorefossil
Definitely never hurts to try.

Back to the topic of this thread...my favorite fossil that I own is the 5"+ meg tooth I have as my AV.

i would love to have a tooth that big, how many years in did it take you to find it?

I had refrained from posting here just because I had no clear favorite fossil. Until August my 3 15/16" meg from the cliffs and my 4 1/4" Meg from Lee Creek were at the top of my list among others. Then on August 23rd, my choice was made for me. I found a porpiose skull!

Family: Eurhinodelphinidae Genus: Xiphiacetus Species: Bossi

post-281-1223330173_thumb.jpg post-281-1223330188_thumb.jpg

post-281-1223330205_thumb.jpg post-281-1223330217_thumb.jpg

post-281-1223330227_thumb.jpg

That is so fantastic I can hardly stand it! Way to go!!

• 4 months later...

yeah, there are, and it's hard to say which are my favorites, since i'd forget to mention somebody and they'd get mad.

I had refrained from posting here just because I had no clear favorite fossil. Until August my 3 15/16" meg from the cliffs and my 4 1/4" Meg from Lee Creek were at the top of my list among others. Then on August 23rd, my choice was made for me. I found a porpiose skull!

Family: Eurhinodelphinidae Genus: Xiphiacetus Species: Bossi

post-281-1223330173_thumb.jpg post-281-1223330188_thumb.jpg

post-281-1223330205_thumb.jpg post-281-1223330217_thumb.jpg

post-281-1223330227_thumb.jpg

That is very very cool !!!!!!!! :faint::drool::drool:B)B)B):D

It's my bone!!!

I guess mine would be this Juvinile Baleen whale spinal section. As I was prepping it I discovered the Meg inside the concretion. *Note the meg is missing a large piece of root and it's current position is not how it was found. It was flat but I have it there for display purposes. Even though I have found an almost complete whale skeleton and several mammal skulls for Bob this is my largest personal piece.

John

post-1292-1235053308_thumb.jpg

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Yes,

I found the tooth and the rest of the root by MRI.. The rest of the root is where it would damage the fossil to get to it.

John

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Guest bmorefossil
Yes,

I found the tooth and the rest of the root by MRI.. The rest of the root is where it would damage the fossil to get to it.

John

well there you go, you got the whole tooth! sad you cant get it out.

well there you go, you got the whole tooth! sad you cant get it out.

The tooth, the whole tooth......and quite a bit more than the tooth!

PDC if you ask me :)

A few favorites.. My 5" A. boltoni, My newest Mesosaur, my dream fish-Coelacanth, and a big crab from Argentina (loved doing the prep on this one!

post-1313-1235181533_thumb.jpg

post-1313-1235181363_thumb.jpg

post-1313-1235181270_thumb.jpg

post-1313-1235181137_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.