What Is Your Favorite Fossil?

Guest bmorefossil

post-213-1215569474_thumb.jpg

I have a few specimens of Edestus heinrichi in my collection and attached is a pic of the best - enjoy!

This is the nicest example of Edestus heinrichi that I think I have ever seen in someone's private collection. Without checking my literature sources (too lazy) I seem to recall that many (all ?) of these teeth come from a coal mine in Illinois. I have also seen another species (very small) reportedly from the Ace Hill Shale of Nebraska.

Do Forum members know of other US locations of E. heinrichi?

Marcel: What was the location of the large Edestus you posted?

We certainly see some wonderful shark teeth posted on the Forum!!!

Thanks! I can dig for my Edestus specific list, but for the for the Family Edestidae, including Edestus, Syntomodus, Helicampodus, Parahelicampodus and Lestrodus:

North America: Colarado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Greenland.

Europe: Germany, Russia, England.

Asia: India, Pakistan

The specimens I have in my collection are all from a mine near Sparta, Illinois, Labette Formation, Late Pennsylvanian.

For me, it would be this trilobite. Mainly because it is the only one that I have ever seen from anywhere around that location and I never found one while I lived there. I found it while visiting my parents about 10 years ago.

After I get in some practice with the tools, I will finally be able to clean him up a bit.

For Solius, the location was Franklin County at the border of Woodford County, near Old Crow. From the top of the hill to the bottom, there is the Upper part of Lexington Limestone, Tanglewood Limestone Member 2, Brannon Member, followed by the Lower part of Lexington Limestone. Based on the geo map, I believe it either came out of the thin layer of the Brannon or washed down hill from the Tanglewood. For the rest of you, that should make it Lower to Middle Ordovician.

post-534-1215659343_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

very nice trilobite, i know how it feels to find something and think you have the only one from that location, just a week ago i found a land mammal tooth in delaware on a beach with 100million year old fossils.

Guest solius symbiosus

Nice. It is a Gravicalymene sp. It probably didn't come from the Brannon mb; the Brannon is sparsely fossiliferous(it is that bluish, dark grey limestone and shale). The lithology looks similar to some kind inter tongue(Tanglewood ?) of this stuff I have found in the Millersburg mb.

The Lexington Lm is Mid Ord(most of it is late Mid Ord).

As a kid, we used to swim at the Old Taylor/Old Crow distillery. Those pics from the other day were taken in Woodford Co. down by Clifton near the river.

This is the nicest example of Edestus heinrichi that I think I have ever seen in someone's private collection. Without checking my literature sources (too lazy) I seem to recall that many (all ?) of these teeth come from a coal mine in Illinois. I have also seen another species (very small) reportedly from the Ace Hill Shale of Nebraska.

Do Forum members know of other US locations of E. heinrichi?

Marcel: What was the location of the large Edestus you posted?

We certainly see some wonderful shark teeth posted on the Forum!!!

I'll find out ...

btw haven't heard from D. Ward yet.

Nice. It is a Gravicalymene sp. It probably didn't come from the Brannon mb; the Brannon is sparsely fossiliferous(it is that bluish, dark grey limestone and shale). The lithology looks similar to some kind inter tongue(Tanglewood ?) of this stuff I have found in the Millersburg mb.

The Lexington Lm is Mid Ord(most of it is late Mid Ord).

As a kid, we used to swim at the Old Taylor/Old Crow distillery. Those pics from the other day were taken in Woodford Co. down by Clifton near the river.

Thanks for the ID. Next time I go there, I will have to check the layers more carefully to see if I can actually identify them. I have some other fossils from farther down that hill, but who knows what box they're packed in.

Close to home, no wonder it looks familiar.

I'll find out ...

btw haven't heard from D. Ward yet.

Marcel:

Many thanks for the update.

FS

What a nice Edestus heinvich fossil! What it really is? Someone said coal mean Pennsylvania and other said Ordovivian that's mean it live from Ordovivian until around Pennsylvania or Permian? Maybe I get chance to find it in Illinois.....your Edestus is dark then is it from dark shale?

Eddie.....what a nice BIG shark tooth!!!! I can get picture myself if I find it in old quarry....WOW!

How big the shark it is..?

I know it is much bigger than the big Great White Shark!

Guest bmorefossil
What a nice Edestus heinvich fossil! What it really is? Someone said coal mean Pennsylvania and other said Ordovivian that's mean it live from Ordovivian until around Pennsylvania or Permian? Maybe I get chance to find it in Illinois.....your Edestus is dark then is it from dark shale?

Eddie.....what a nice BIG shark tooth!!!! I can get picture myself if I find it in old quarry....WOW!

How big the shark it is..?

I know it is much bigger than the big Great White Shark!

here is how you can find out the size of a megalodon from the size of the tooth.

post-17-1216250686_thumb.jpg

this is my favorite...

Mesosaurus tenuidens

Wonderful! I have a huge soft spot in my heart for articulated skeletons on a slab :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

here is how you can find out the size of a megalodon from the size of the tooth.

Let's call it an "estimation" guide at best.

Guest bmorefossil
Let's call it an "estimation" guide at best.

its all we can do we might never know really know big they were

Heres my favorite fossil. These are chrinoid columns.

post-623-1216625261_thumb.jpg

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

Your pictured treasures seem so familiar; seeing them takes me back to my childhood, when fossil hunting the Allegheny Plateau was a big part of visiting Grampa. Thanks!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

...do you think they are all from the same crinoid

They are so disarticulated, there is no way to know; pretty high-energy depositional environment.

Guest bmorefossil
They are so disarticulated, there is no way to know; pretty high-energy depositional environment.

i just dont see any other fossil material like shell debris

Here my favorite fossil

It is a tooth of small dromaeosauridae...

Ah! Sister group to Aves. Dromaeosaurs were kissing-cousins of the birds (though not exactly your park-pigeons).

• 3 weeks later...
In one of the areas I collect along Calvert Cliffs I find pine cones here and there. I don't have any in my possession now but if I find another I will let you know.

Wow! Are they in situ when you find them, or loose float? I ask because, in the marine environment, it's possible for a pine cone to go to sea, but several in the same spot seems like several too many. If not in matrix, they could be Pleistocene. I do know where, south of Westmorland, I could find wood weathering out of the cliff at eye-level; it was essentially lignite, and could be made to burn, but was otherwise very poorly preserved.