What Is Your Favorite Fossil?

Guest bmorefossil

Here are some other teeth I'm really fond of. They are both from the West Bank of the Ica River Valley (about 20km southwest of Ica) close to cerro Las Tres Piramides. The one on the right I have in my gallery as well, but the pic is not very clear and it doesn't have a scale with it. The coloration on the bourlette is pure color (the bourlette is pretty much entirely intact) and the tip is perfect. I also wanted to get them shot in daylight so the colors are truest to what they are.

post-92-1214792704_thumb.jpg

post-92-1214792729_thumb.jpg

Drool City!

(Maybe we should have some Fossil Forum bibs made...)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

for a second i thought they were the same tooth, they are the same size and basicly the same shape, they are great!!!!!

All I can say is "wow" :o ! You isurus90064 are the official Megalodon KING of this forum. It's my dream to one day own a 7 incher, surely everybody else on this forum too.

For me, it's no-contest. A fully inflated oligocene bird egg from St. Gerand le Puy (France). It is on a matrix of "indusial limestone", which is composed entirely of caddisfly larva tubes (Phryganea), which are constructed of pin-head-sized snail shells. There is also a bird bone on the matrix, which may or may not have anything to do with the egg. The whole shebang is limned in a coat of travertine.

It is the best looking bird fossil in my display, but it is my favorite because of the research involved in figuring it all out; when it all came together, my pulse rate definately went off the charts!

wow I dont know how i missed this thread! that fossil is absolutley amazing! unbelievable!!!

I Also like Harrys Osprey claw, have you seen that one?!

as for my favorite fossil....hmm too hard, but i must say Auspex, you little egg and bone is rapidly becoming one of my favorites!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

ok just dug through some photos and here is one of my favorite self collected fossils.... Im still unsure of what it is excactly, best bet is some sort of pine cone...but not too sure as the "stem" is very wide, one things certain....its awesome! It was found in CO. most likley age: Cretaceous

post-142-1214800681_thumb.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

For me, it's no-contest. A fully inflated oligocene bird egg from St. Gerand le Puy (France). It is on a matrix of "indusial limestone", which is composed entirely of caddisfly larva tubes (Phryganea), which are constructed of pin-head-sized snail shells. There is also a bird bone on the matrix, which may or may not have anything to do with the egg. The whole shebang is limned in a coat of travertine.

It is the best looking bird fossil in my display, but it is my favorite because of the research involved in figuring it all out; when it all came together, my pulse rate definately went off the charts!

Hey Auspex, after getting wrapped up in posting and reading shark tooth posts I went back and took a look at your Oligocene egg fossil. That is a phenomenal fossil!! So delicate and the preservation is amazing ... did you find this yourself? Very very nice!!!

this is my favorite fossil! found last mounth, a Mosasaur hoffmanni, 5 inch with root and reserve tooth!

from belgium.

post-343-1214817627_thumb.jpg

post-343-1214817676_thumb.jpg

Cool mosasaur tooth, had to use some kind of consolidant for the root?

Very nice enamel colors, did yo have to broke partially the root to expose the replacement tooth o it was exposed directly?

Greetings and congratulations.

Hey Auspex, after getting wrapped up in posting and reading shark tooth posts I went back and took a look at your Oligocene egg fossil. That is a phenomenal fossil!! So delicate and the preservation is amazing ... did you find this yourself? Very very nice!!!

Thanks! Sadly, none of my bird fossils are self-collected :( . It came, without much provenence, from an old collection. The only praise I might deserve is for figuring out, and authenticating, what this fossil is.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil
wow I dont know how i missed this thread! that fossil is absolutley amazing! unbelievable!!!

I Also like Harrys Osprey claw, have you seen that one?!

as for my favorite fossil....hmm too hard, but i must say Auspex, you little egg and bone is rapidly becoming one of my favorites!

yea thats one of my favorites as well

Guest bmorefossil
ok just dug through some photos and here is one of my favorite self collected fossils.... Im still unsure of what it is excactly, best bet is some sort of pine cone...but not too sure as the "stem" is very wide, one things certain....its awesome! It was found in CO. most likley age: Cretaceous

wow, i have always wanted a fossil pine cone, very nice

Guest bmorefossil

WoW the Mosasaur tooth is great i like reserve tooth, how does it sit in the mouth? is it in the root?

WoW the Mosasaur tooth is great i like reserve tooth, how does it sit in the mouth? is it in the root?

This method of tooth replacement is so similar to that of some of the Cretaceous toothed birds that it initially confused O.C. Marsh; one of the first finds had teeth in the matrix with bird bones, and he failed to associate them, thinking the teeth were from a small Mosasaur. Can't fault him too harshly, though, Archaeopteryx (and the whole idea of toothed birds) had yet to be discovered.

Guest bmorefossil
This method of tooth replacement is so similar to that of some of the Cretaceous toothed birds that it initially confused O.C. Marsh; one of the first finds had teeth in the matrix with bird bones, and he failed to associate them, thinking the teeth were from a small Mosasaur. Can't fault him too harshly, though, Archaeopteryx (and the whole idea of toothed birds) had yet to be discovered.

wow what did he do? did he seperate them from one another?

wow what did he do? did he seperate them from one another?

Further preparation of the fossil, along with later finds, led him to recognize his mistake. It was controversial for years.

Guest N.AL.hunter
Picking my favorite was difficult, so I went with favorite and unusual. The crinoid was preserved in the upright position. I know that is hard to believe so I have included a before preparation picture so that everyone can see that it is not mounted. There is a local professor that wants to write a paper on this specimen because of it's unusual preservation. It is Reteocrinus alveolatus from the Verulam formation of Ontario, Canada. I was splitting shale and it broke in three place before I realize what it was. At first I thought it was only a concretion in the shale. When I realized it was a crinoid I was so upset because I thought I ruined it. After I put the pieces back together and realized that nothing was missing I was estatic.

crinus

post-391-1214316682_thumb.jpgpost-391-1214316720_thumb.jpg

Hard to believe it but I just now saw this post for the first time today. WOOOOOOW!!!!! That is really incredible. You sure do have some museum quality crinoids in your collection.

An Early Cretaceous, Lower Weald Clay, Surrey, England, spiral Shark/Ray egg case, I found mid 90s.

post-45-1214853281_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

An Early Cretaceous, Lower Weald Clay, Surrey, England, spiral Shark/Ray egg case, I found mid 90s.

Can't be too many of those laying about!

Guest bmorefossil

Wow nice I always see these when they do shows on sharks but have always wondered if you could find fossil

ones very cool!!!

A few have been found worldwide, but they're certainly not common. As far as I know, this is the only one from the locality.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but did you buy it or collect it?

ed