Missourian

PleaidesGPnc.thumb.jpg.735182048a9a3bcdc55c09997aefcc16.jpg

A favorite spot in the sky, the Pleiades, Here are two of its brighter stars with their reflection nebula, Alcyone and Merope.

• Enjoyed 6

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thor's Helmet, an emissions nebula in Canis Major...

ThorsHelmetNeb2GPn.thumb.png.7f99193e48753cb75a14fbe5581a46df.png

• Enjoyed 6

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Venus and Jupiter are converging in the evening sky... According to Stellarium it looks like they will pass by each other on March 1. They sure seem to move fast when they're going toward each other. I can't count on clear weather on any given date up here, so I hope some of you will try some photos in case I can't.

If my skies are clear, I will try, although the image will likely just be two large bright dots, with smaller ones around Jupiter.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Tonight, Selene ensorcelling Jupiter...

DSC_9120AC.thumb.jpg.4b9f9178982726d3ace7e036ea124529.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Conjunction of the moon, Jupiter and Venus, snapped from a moving car:

IMG_8784e3-cropped.jpg.ba510eebaa48f4f3477ca4864b6b4db5.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

Context is critical.

The planets are getting pretty close... Moon's nowhere near them any more of course, but here's a shot this past evening:

2023Feb28,6;42pm.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

The planets are getting pretty close... Moon's nowhere near them any more of course, but here's a shot this past evening:

Will still be something nice in about 3 weeks?

Had a nice view a week ago, with very small moon in the middle between Jupiter and Venus.

On 2/19/2023 at 3:29 AM, Wrangellian said:

According to Stellarium it looks like they will pass by each other on March 1.

Thanks! Unfortunately, overcast sky here day-in, day-out...;)

Franz Bernhard

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Nice picture, I like the tress in the foreground and the clouds and post-sunset sky. I don't think I'll be able to see the conjunction tonight, its Wednesday, and it seems every Wednesday this year has been cloudy and cold.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

Venus-Jupiter conjunction...

Evening stars:

8843-Venus-Jupiter-edit.thumb.jpg.5877e7532355eaee6770c03080b2cddc.jpg

Through the scope:

8834-Venus-Jupiter-edit.jpg.be8dae841ca4ff33ec849162ea1f9c56.jpg

The moon and Mars (upper right), for good measure:

8844d-moon-Mars-edit.thumb.jpg.20ac0fb7dab87e671ebe08040637466f.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Context is critical.

Tonight, Luna, the heavenly ecdysiast, dons diaphanous cloud for her nightly dance...

DSC_9128acn.thumb.png.bcbd6da87da7ea25a2fdeb11398995ed.png

• Enjoyed 3

19 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Will still be something nice in about 3 weeks?

Had a nice view a week ago, with very small moon in the middle between Jupiter and Venus.

Thanks! Unfortunately, overcast sky here day-in, day-out...;)

Franz Bernhard

Oh well. :unsure: The planets will be much further apart by then, but keep an eye on it, you might get something good.

Here it's another overcast evening so I missed the closest approach. Tomorrow (Thurs) they will still be pretty close, so maybe there's another chance for all of us.

17 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Nice picture, I like the tress in the foreground and the clouds and post-sunset sky. I don't think I'll be able to see the conjunction tonight, its Wednesday, and it seems every Wednesday this year has been cloudy and cold.

Thanks. I think it's a little overexposed but it made for a nice picture.

There is something to be said for living in a dry/desert region!

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Tonight, Luna, the heavenly ecdysiast, dons diaphanous cloud for her nightly dance...

Always the poet!

Did you have a chance to catch the planets at all?

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

catch the planets

I wish, the weather has not helped me!

Apparently the clouds cleared faster than I was expecting and by the evening it was almost clear. I saw the two planets but my photo is terrible, I was surprised how much brighter Venus was then Jupiter, 6 times brighter!

I’ve attached a photo of what it looked like through the telescope and an even crummier photo just of what it looked like in the sky, where you can see the edges of the clouds interfered with the planets.

47EFD87F-9BB9-4C27-B441-AA005B7F6C1B.thumb.jpeg.11c7061602f0a6544f389df6478909dc.jpeg

0954C9E5-3DDF-4614-84FA-70237B18219B.thumb.jpeg.ada029df9604c5212276aed61896b0ac.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

11 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Apparently the clouds cleared faster than I was expecting and by the evening it was almost clear. I saw the two planets but my photo is terrible, I was surprised how much brighter Venus was then Jupiter, 6 times brighter!

I’ve attached a photo of what it looked like through the telescope and an even crummier photo just of what it looked like in the sky, where you can see the edges of the clouds interfered with the planets.

The 2nd one looks like a painting! At least I can tell what I'm looking at. How come the photos are so crummy? What gadget/settings are you using?

It's mostly clear here now and I can see Venus... I'll try some photos in the next few minutes when Jupiter appears.

Wish I had the means to take telescopic shots, I like the ones with Jupiter's moons visible.

The sky cleared again tonight. Overcast on the night of closest approach, but clear on either side of it.... figures.  Anyway here is another look (or two) at the conjunction.

DSC_0291-shr.thumb.jpg.ba134952c8ae7917876c55af29d20503.jpg

Jupiter's moons visible in telephoto:

DSC_0293-cro.jpg.079ddf1ea6c3295c2b8705231a34da43.jpg

Later as they set over the snow-dappled mountain (how's that, snolly?) - moons visible here too (better in the full-sized version) -

I was in a hurry to get lined up, right settings, etc, before Jupiter set, and I know I could have done better if I had given myself more time. So I enhanced this one a little to bring out the surroundings just a titch:DSC_0298-enh.thumb.jpg.a15909ec3bb3fbdb085591608ba1ce71.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian
  • Enjoyed 6

2 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

snow-dappled mountain

Not as close to Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings quality as is snolly's efforts; but a worthy attempt.

12 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

The 2nd one looks like a painting! At least I can tell what I'm looking at. How come the photos are so crummy? What gadget/settings are you using?

It's mostly clear here now and I can see Venus... I'll try some photos in the next few minutes when Jupiter appears.

Wish I had the means to take telescopic shots, I like the ones with Jupiter's moons visible.

I got a new phone and am still not used to the camera yet so I'm partly blaming it on that. For the first photo its my phone looking through a telescope eyepiece and the second photo is just an ordinary picture through the camera app of the planets zoomed in. Oddly on my phone when I view that photo I can see the two planets and not just the glow but when I uploaded it to TFF it was more washed out.

11 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Not as close to Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings quality as is snolly's efforts; but a worthy attempt.

I'd say maybe of comparable quality, just not as much of it!

10 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

I got a new phone and am still not used to the camera yet so I'm partly blaming it on that. For the first photo its my phone looking through a telescope eyepiece and the second photo is just an ordinary picture through the camera app of the planets zoomed in. Oddly on my phone when I view that photo I can see the two planets and not just the glow but when I uploaded it to TFF it was more washed out.

I wonder how much control you have over a cellphone camera generally, even when you are used to it. It can't be anything like a real camera with a tripod, I would think, so maybe it's amazing what you can get out of one, considering. Just holding it up against the telescope eyepiece.. That I can't do!

When I dump my photos onto my hard drive, sometimes they look a little different than what I see on the camera display, but not too different. There is no unexpected change when I post them on TFF. Is there some sort of software that automatically adjusts photos in your system that you're not aware of or have no control over?

Our telescope has a mount for phones and tablets for the purposes of photography and navigation.

4288D03A-B59C-4A92-9A1C-44E722B933DC.jpeg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I wonder how much control you have over a cellphone camera generally, even when you are used to it. It can't be anything like a real camera with a tripod, I would think, so maybe it's amazing what you can get out of one, considering. Just holding it up against the telescope eyepiece.. That I can't do!

I take a video and then screenshot later, my hand is no where near still enough but it works.

4 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

When I dump my photos onto my hard drive, sometimes they look a little different than what I see on the camera display, but not too different. There is no unexpected change when I post them on TFF. Is there some sort of software that automatically adjusts photos in your system that you're not aware of or have no control over?

If there are any I have no idea, this is the first time I've had this happen, and its the first time I've uploaded a photo with my new phone but I don't think the photo through the eyepiece looks any different.

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Our telescope has a mount for phones and tablets for the purposes of photography. 

I wonder if my telescope creates something similar or if there is something that universally fits eyepieces a certain size, might be worth looking into.

7 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I wonder if my telescope creates something similar or if there is something that universally fits eyepieces a certain size, might be worth looking into.

It is fairly basic, using mirrors so that the camera lens will capture what is in the telescope lens without having to worry about lens-to-lens distortion.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer