Missourian

DSC_0678stackac.thumb.png.80d2cf03de2c5ff58cf8fc7c22d03789.png

• Enjoyed 5

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Today, a thinly clouded Sun reveals multiple sunspots...

DSC_0713ac.thumb.png.b2bb00a4721b4800b4194c2ebd256104.png

Tonight, bright Jupiter dances close to the Moon...

DSC_0720ac.thumb.png.da1eb2c1ab7a4a201872d79c484cc974.png

• Enjoyed 10

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

21 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Today, a thinly clouded Sun reveals multiple sunspots...

DSC_0713ac.thumb.png.b2bb00a4721b4800b4194c2ebd256104.png

Tonight, bright Jupiter dances close to the Moon...

DSC_0720ac.thumb.png.da1eb2c1ab7a4a201872d79c484cc974.png

Nice shots. I saw the moon/Jupiter last night high above me, and the sun just now after seeing your pic, but I didn't/don't have the ambition to try to take photos. I don't think I could improve on yours anyway...

• Thank You 1

Area 52 = Dugway, Utah...waiting for the incoming UFO on final approach for landing. And then I woke up in my car in my driveway. Dazed and confused.

PXL_20211003_013721046.NIGHT.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Composite of a mineral moon image with starry background. Obviously, this doesn't ever look like this with human eyes or a camera.  But I liked it.

Moon.thumb.jpg.5d7ec18c8502ebcb9e8f88550937f8d0.jpg

• Enjoyed 10

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I’ve posted but I have some interesting new photos:

The Pleiades, The Orion Nebula, the California Nebula, and the Pacman nebula.

The Pleiades image is broadband the other three are taken with an H-alpha O-III dual band pass filter

IMG_0100.jpeg

IMG_0166.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0024.jpeg

• Enjoyed 14

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter set up her camera and caught this while we took in the Geminid meteor shower a few weeks ago. Locally, it was the best I have seen in years!!  

ABath-001.thumb.jpg.16751938bda8072c20b1f47117e62a7b.jpg

• Enjoyed 13

Tonight's Moon, our 40th wedding anniversary, it all felt as it should; happy, content. Tonight, for at least a brief span, the persistent folly's of Humankind seemed far away.

DSC_0742acn.thumb.jpg.29b8ffd6b628c3a7cbe3e8b8bdf3f75d.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

@snolly50, Happy Anniversary!!!!! I ran into this card a few weeks ago. A card that would have been appropriate for this special occasion. Hopefully my wife will appreciate it.

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.salsify.com%2Fimage

• Enjoyed 4
  • Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

M33 Triangulum Galaxy...

M33TriangulumGal.thumb.png.e60bf2241c47a24097b0a904c1b6115c.png

• Enjoyed 7

Changes in the lighting within a few minutes during the total eclipse of 2017, from Eddyville, Kentucky:

8655_1301-CDT_Well_Before_Totality_67.jpg.cadc28fc6b9b0873b2f57aef6943b566.jpg

8677_1318-CDT_5_min_before_totality_67.jpg.b70bb4b8198caf4eeea6416de475b41a.jpg

8681_1322-CDT_just_before_totality_67.jpg.79e80e6ac19942e9645f3137df3aa886.jpg

8684_1326-CDT_right_after_totality_67.jpg.fec07203281eaa7e42720c974f5968d6.jpg

(Really looking forward to the next one in April)

• Enjoyed 6

Context is critical.

• 2 weeks later...

Horsehead Nebula...HorseHeadNeb2-giganbz.thumb.png.54ffbbb6520a86b2c824d304235c874b.png

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 7

One of my favorites from last year's Milky Way season. Shot with a Sony a7ii mirrorless camera with a Mitakon Zhongyi Speedmaster 85mm f/1.2 Lens mounted on a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2 star tracker on a carbon fiber tripod.  Several nebulae are visible in the galactic core of the Milky Way galaxy. The Lagoon, Trifid and Eagle are the pink blobs. The dark areas are known as the Dust Lanes made up of dirt and dust. The Pipe Nebula is a dark complex.  The Last Chance Desert is Bortle Class 1 dark sky.  The scale goes from darkest 1 to brightest 10 with 10 being brighter than Tokyo at night which is a Class 9.  I'm very fortunate to have world class dark skies only a couple of hours away during a new moon phase.

LCD7_21.23-DeNoiseAI-clear.thumb.png.0a4c09e1756cf2dbdede43d466d6f023.png

• Enjoyed 5

2 hours ago, SPrice said:

One of my favorites from last year's Milky Way season. Shot with a Sony a7ii mirrorless camera with a Mitakon Zhongyi Speedmaster 85mm f/1.2 Lens mounted on a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2 star tracker on a carbon fiber tripod.  Several nebulae are visible in the galactic core of the Milky Way galaxy. The Lagoon, Trifid and Eagle are the pink blobs. The dark areas are known as the Dust Lanes made up of dirt and dust. The Pipe Nebula is a dark complex.  The Last Chance Desert is Bortle Class 1 dark sky.  The scale goes from darkest 1 to brightest 10 with 10 being brighter than Tokyo at night which is a Class 9.  I'm very fortunate to have world class dark skies only a couple of hours away during a new moon phase.

Sure makes a difference being under a Bortle 1 sky.

Those nebulas aren't actually in the galactic core, are they, but in that direction?

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Sure makes a difference being under a Bortle 1 sky.

Those nebulas aren't actually in the galactic core, are they, but in that direction?

The far west and northwest side of Vancouver island is a also Bortle Class 1. Just somewhat of a long hike or boat trip to get there.

The Lagoon Nebula actually is in our Milky Way galaxy near the central bulge of the core. It is about 110 light years across, whereas our galaxy is over 105, 000 light years across...give or take.

We see the Lagoon nebula in the constellation Sagittarius.  The bright star to the left of the Lagoon nebula  is Kaus Borealis AKA the handle of the Teapot. 

Disclaimer: I'm no astronomer and am learning as I go. Only a couple-3 of years into astrophotography, although like most humans I have been looking at stars all my life. 

I really enjoy the Utah deserts and knew we have fossils from the time I moved here 18 years ago. We did go with my Bro In Law to the pay to dig trilobites the first year we moved

here. I was somewhat too busy raising kiddos to go wandering off all over creation after many solo hobbies so I stayed close to home with urban fishing until they got into college. 

So now fishing, hiking, mtn climbing, fossil and rock hounding are all on the table for daylight adventures and astrophotography for nighttime. Can't wait to get back out there and

already have the new moons calendared for 2024.

A deep view into the Lagoon Nebula courtesy of NASA.

Screenshot(43).thumb.png.1c885f3b398e5956f78e1875de7910c0.png

• Enjoyed 3

22 hours ago, SPrice said:

Very nice image.

The Pipe Nebula happens to form the hindquarters of the 'prancing' Dark Horse Nebula. It's not as famous as the Horsehead, but it is one of my favorites.

• Enjoyed 1

Context is critical.

54 minutes ago, Missourian said:

It's not as famous as the Horsehead, but it is one of my favorites.

Same for me.

On 1/15/2024 at 9:40 PM, SPrice said:

The far west and northwest side of Vancouver island is a also Bortle Class 1. Just somewhat of a long hike or boat trip to get there.

The Lagoon Nebula actually is in our Milky Way galaxy near the central bulge of the core. It is about 110 light years across, whereas our galaxy is over 105, 000 light years across...give or take.

We see the Lagoon nebula in the constellation Sagittarius.  The bright star to the left of the Lagoon nebula  is Kaus Borealis AKA the handle of the Teapot. 

Disclaimer: I'm no astronomer and am learning as I go. Only a couple-3 of years into astrophotography, although like most humans I have been looking at stars all my life. 

I really enjoy the Utah deserts and knew we have fossils from the time I moved here 18 years ago. We did go with my Bro In Law to the pay to dig trilobites the first year we moved

here.

I guess you were saying that the nebula was in the central bulge from our perspective, not actually located in the bulge, as it is 4100 ly away and the core is 27000 ly away. (I had to look that up, obviously)

A Bortle 1 sky would be several hours drive up-island for me... I could get to a B2 at the far end of Cowichan Lake, much closer to me, but the B1 is so much further. I'm sure I have seen B1 skies in my life but never tried photography. I think I'll pass on that and enjoy photos such as yours here, just as I'll probably have to forego a trip to the U-dig trilo quarry and satisfy myself with the fossils I can acquire from there by buying/trading!

Edited by Wrangellian

8 hours ago, Missourian said:

Very nice image.

The Pipe Nebula happens to form the hindquarters of the 'prancing' Dark Horse Nebula. It's not as famous as the Horsehead, but it is one of my favorites.

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't see it before but spotted it instantly after your mention of it!

I spent New Year's Eve camped out near the Marble Mountains in California's Mojave Desert (some of you may know it as where you can find ollenelid trilobites from the Cambrian).  No trilobites this trip but I did take this photo of the night sky with my Nikon 18-105 lens set at 18 mm and exposed for 20 seconds at ISO 4000 on my Nikon D7500 digital SLR mounted on a stationary tripod.  Orion is in the upper left, with his belt stretching vertically and his dagger pointing toward the right edge (the fuzzy star in the dagger is actually the Orion nebula).  The orange glow along the horizon is from the headlight of a distant BNSF freight train heading west along their transcontinental main line.

NightSky.thumb.jpg.53fc43e9ba1994aafcb20883a2ae2676.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Tonight's Moon...

DSC_0760ac.thumb.png.865ab7efeb6a15028de097a83b55e88b.png

• Enjoyed 4

17 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Tonight's Moon...

DSC_0760ac.thumb.png.865ab7efeb6a15028de097a83b55e88b.png

Looks just like last month's! 😃

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Don't think I shown this before. I been working on it for sometime.  This is just a photo of my computer screen,  sorry. Digital painting

The Northern lights 

20240114_125138.jpg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • Enjoyed 3