Great macro shot with superb depth of field for a close-up. Please post equipment used and settings. Thanks.

Thanks. I used the camera on my iPhone 4s. I didn't use any settings per se. All I did was to tap the screen to focus at the desired spot (in this case, the leaf below the insect). The good lighting conditions and easygoing nature of the insect also helped. To increase my chances of success, I'll take several identical photos of the subject. In this case, I took around 15 photos overall.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

"Cannonball" jellyfish, Stomolophus meleagris

Common in the Fall, Litchfield Beach, SC

post-8873-0-77196900-1407157229_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

"Cannonball" jellyfish, Stomolophus meleagris

Then not an extraordinarily preserved specimen of Essexella asherae? :P

I see those on rare occasions while diving but the "moon" jellies (Aurelia aurita) are much more commonly seen.

Cheers.

-Ken

Then not an extraordinarily preserved specimen of Essexella asherae? :P

I see those on rare occasions while diving but the "moon" jellies (Aurelia aurita) are much more commonly seen.

Cheers.

-Ken

"moon" over Litchfield Beach, SC, smacks of these wash up a little later in the Fall after the cannonballs.

post-8873-0-92165800-1407170838_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Alligator mississippiensis

Spotted this young one last summer in the tidal marsh at Huntington Island, SC. I took the shot from a dock and estimated the critter to be about 5 feet long. If I had been in a kayak, the estimate would have been 10 feet; swimming, 15 feet!

post-8873-0-04110800-1407416049_thumb.jpg

Someone mentioned Mothra in another thread.... :)

post-6808-0-03587400-1407645037_thumb.jpg

This thing was almost as big as a hummingbird.

Context is critical.

Someone mentioned Mothra in another thread.... :)

attachicon.gif4780-mothra.jpg

This thing was almost as big as a hummingbird.

That's a wonderful shot. Please post equipment settings used. It appears to be a Sphinx moth. Not only the size of a hummingbird, but they can fly like one, as well.

That's a wonderful shot. Please post equipment settings used. It appears to be a Sphinx moth. Not only the size of a hummingbird, but they can fly like one, as well.

Thanks.

It was taken with an iPhone. The settings are good luck, a slow approach, and a steady hand. :)

Context is critical.

Thanks.

It was taken with an iPhone. The settings are good luck, a slow approach, and a steady hand. :)

Thanks! I was wondering? You are getting really good results. I attempted Sphinx Moth shots last summer with my Nikon DSLR rig. I was happy with the pictures, but I am now thinking your iPhone result is superior. I enjoyed seeing your shot. Those critters are not easy to catch, thanks.

Edited by snolly50

7X18 tele-adapter:

post-423-0-69319600-1407711173_thumb.jpg

LINK

There is also a macro/micro adapter. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks! I was wondering? You are getting really good results. I attempted Sphinx Moth shots last summer with my Nikon DSLR rig. I was happy with the pictures, but I am now thinking your iPhone result is superior. I enjoyed seeing your shot. Those critters are not easy to catch, thanks.

The touch-screen focus is very handy for close-up shots. I think I tap on the flowers below the flowers to focus. For some difficult subjects (when the camera is not cooperating), I hold my hand or a light-colored card up in the field of view to control the focus and brightness levels.

Context is critical.

Missourian, Really nice mothra photos! I've been chasing them but have taken up looking for dragon flies as they'll sit still at least for awhile! This is the first time I've seen this particular dragon fly species before. I've got to go figure out what it is sometime!!!

Auspex, That phone adapter looks pretty cool--hmm the micro/macro adapter could also be very useful!

post-1240-0-30793200-1407803296_thumb.jpg

Cant remember if I posted this shot before....a killdeer nest (aka small depression in the ground) ringed with fossil Plio/Pleistocene invert fragments.

post-1240-0-12510300-1407803901_thumb.jpg

Both taken with a Samsung Galaxy 4 phone/camera.

Regards, Chris

Chris, outstanding D'fly shot!

This is the first time I've seen this particular dragon fly species before. I've got to go figure out what it is sometime!!!

attachicon.gif20140628_1230081.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist! ^_^ I've been dabbling in bug IDs lately.

Appears to be a female Libellula. Either axilena or vibrans.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/4090/bgimage

http://bugguide.net/node/view/576/bgimage?from=216

Steve

7X18 tele-adapter:

attachicon.gif~.JPG

LINK

There is also a macro/micro adapter. :)

Aw, that's cheating.... :P

I read a statistic a few years back that said (at the time) that 70%+ of all photos taken were not taken with a camera, per se, but by smartphones. I would not doubt that the current percentage is over 80% now and possibly approaching 90%.

My idea of a "smartphone" is a simple flip-phone that automatically adjusts to new time zones--no apps, no texts, just calls. Some may call me a dinosaur but I take that as a compliment.

Cheers.

-Ken

I photographed this dragonfly in June. It appears to be chowing down on insect prey. I didn't notice, until I got the image on the computer screen, the globular structures along the creatures underside. I guessed they might be parasites, but didn't have a clue. I consulted Forum member, AgrilusHunter. He reported that they were likely mites and most likely phoretic. Fortunately, he included a link to a Wikipedia article on phoresy. It refers to "one animal attached to another exclusively for transport." Hitchhiking mites! Fascinating.

post-8873-0-05153300-1408220422_thumb.jpg

I photographed this dragonfly in June. It appears to be chowing down on insect prey. I didn't notice, until I got the image on the computer screen, the globular structures along the creatures underside. I guessed they might be parasites, but didn't have a clue. I consulted Forum member, AgrilusHunter. He reported that they were likely mites and most likely phoretic. Fortunately, he included a link to a Wikipedia article on phoresy. It refers to "one animal attached to another exclusively for transport." Hitchhiking mites! Fascinating.

attachicon.gifDSC_4486acz.jpg

Hey John, that's a pretty neat photo! Very nice. I haven't seen that many except in photos....I did run into a single one on a leg of a walking stick last year--photos of it weren't so hot with my camera...more of the lighting and the crappy photographer! :)

This S4 has autofocus but a quick tap anywhere on the screen and it will reautofocuses on that point...works most of the time very well....Look at the crispness and green color in this green anole. post-1240-0-76011000-1408240309_thumb.jpg

Since I had found that fossil armadillo scute and and bat wing looking vertebra earlier I've been scoping out armadillo road kill to learn something about their anatomy and finally got closeups of one that was mostly skeletal. Neat to see how the parts make up the whole critter!

post-1240-0-56523800-1408240881_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-04997300-1408241170_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

Love kildeer eggs--they are such works of abstract art.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken, yep they are art. I like the matching abstract fossil frags making up the nest that match the eggs. Regards, Chris