This mule deer buck was outside the kitchen window this October morning.

Jim

Old Dead Things

post-1148-0-65225000-1412873518_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the original theme of this topic (wildlife encountered while hunting fossils), I wanted to try out a land-based location for fossil hunting when the Peace River is still busy recharging the gravel beds hiding new material for the upcoming season. My wife and I had a great time exploring someplace new and as a special bonus we found the place crawling (quite literally) with Gopher Tortoises. I've seen their burrows on occasion but never managed to see this master excavator in real life. For those who are not in the know, this keystone species digs extensive underground burrows that provide shelter for some 360 other animals. I now know of a good place to see this iconic Florida species (we saw 5 of them within a couple minutes of walking and many burrows). One of them walked just feet away from us as we sat on the ground dry sifting for shark teeth. We found quite a few--not big but with a nice variety of colors (beyond the basic black of Peace River teeth). All in all a memorable day trip.

Cheers.

-Ken

post-7713-0-07518200-1414244252_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-06704300-1414244254_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-66015400-1414244255_thumb.jpg

Lived in Florida nearly 20 years and this is the first one I've seen. It was a cool bonus to the day.

-Ken

Hey Ken, They are cool critters. There used to be one at our work property which I havent seen in awhile but when we used to drive up in one area you'd see the dang thing put it in turtle overdrive and "run" for its burrow.....he/she is burrowing in the Tamiami formation fossil and sand material. The parking lot literally is full of scraps of all kinds of invert stuff! It gets really distracting sometimes. I've only picked up a few to look at! ;) Regards, Chris

Regards, Chris

It looks like you had a great day. Thanks for posting the photo of the burrow along with the tortoise. I've never seen a gopher tortoise in the wild, just the one I used to haul out of its enclosure every day at a museum. I'm sure yours live a better life.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool snail from the Uwharrie Mountains of NC. They were everywhere on the slate.

post-7899-0-38145100-1416018380_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-86510700-1416018390_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Cool snail from the Uwharrie Mountains of NC. They were everywhere on the slate.

Snails are cool! That looks pretty big.

I can't count the times I've gasped and picked them up thinking I found an awesome fossil... <_<

Steve

a-table.gifg-faim.gif

It's a joke, ;) but French people are known to eat snails, but not any species ! It has been decades since I ate it...

Yours is nice !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

That snail was pretty big Steve and Coco. I brought home some empty snail shells too found in situ. Coco, yep, snails can be delish with a nice evening cordial. ;)

Edited by masonboro37

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

There are some really nice shots in this thread! It's nice to see such a variety of critters. My wife and I spend a great deal of time on the water and at the beach and here's a few shots of Harbor seals, Gray seals, and a Humpback whale. The Harbor seals were in Barnegat Bay, NJ and the others were in Cape Cod, MA.

Steve

post-6302-0-27910600-1416438098_thumb.jpg

post-6302-0-25934400-1416438117_thumb.jpg

post-6302-0-97705200-1416438261_thumb.jpg

Edited by SoreBack

Great pictures. Did the gull veer away startled with the sudden appearance of the Leviathan or did it just take it in stride and fly on?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks Snolly,

The whales were feeding on small fish called sand launces (Ammodytes americanus) and the birds try to grab any fish that escape the whale's mouth.

Steve

Ah, so he wasn't surprised at all; just clever and opportunistic. Wonderful, inter-species interaction.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

" Wonderful, inter-species interaction."

Sort of like on this forum. :D

Edited by Roanoker

I truly enjoy the experiences that people have shared wrt wildlife. Thought I should include something.

While stopping to check a roadcut out in SE Minnesota, a visitor arrived.

post-12553-0-17712700-1416596676_thumb.jpg

My "friend" and I enjoyed this late summer day together for about a half hour, after which she must have been bored with my company and flew off

post-12553-0-24926800-1416597633_thumb.jpg

Little Blue Heron, Egretta caerulea

post-8873-0-07568400-1416782943_thumb.jpg

This summer I disrupted his hunting at the margin of the lake. He took refuge in the pine and glared at me disapprovingly until I moved on.

That's a great shot. We occasionally get to see these birds in the transitional white to blue phase.

That is a very cool bird. Great photo as well.

Thanks I love the color of that animal. I am pleased with the shot. I didn't realize as I was taking it - there is a strand of monofilament line in the tree. It is visible diagonally across the upper right of the photo. The bird was pretty high in the tree. It must have been an extremely unskilled fisherman to get tangled there.

Thanks I love the color of that animal. I am pleased with the shot. I didn't realize as I was taking it - there is a strand of monofilament line in the tree. It is visible diagonally across the upper right of the photo. The bird was pretty high in the tree. It must have been an extremely unskilled fisherman to get tangled there.

Hey John, awesome shot! I dont think I've ever fished there so you cant blame the monofilament in your photo on me! I will admit right now to having messed with a few trees in my day.

As a proud Dad years ago I remember trying to explain to my 10 yr old son that once you cast into a branch/tree in front of you overhanging the water and you are snagged you do not let go of the rod as it will arc in a pendulum away from you. And if you miss the return swing of the rod towards you and its snagged high enough in the tree it will eventually slow down and stop swinging and hang straight down from the tree above or in the water, many feet from the dry shoreline!

Regards, Chris

" Wonderful, inter-species interaction."

Sort of like on this forum. :D

LOL, yes Roanoker sometimes I get so tangled in what I mean to say...well I communicate about as well as I am able with another species.

Hey Chris, I can relate I've had more than a few fishing misadventures.