Saw a duck I havent seen before down here while fossil hunting recently. Couldnt get very close and a quick shot caught some detail.

post-1240-0-84801900-1409369497_thumb.jpg

It was guarding a retention pond where I was fossiling. Although I think it is a Black bellied whistling duck I heard nothing as it left rather abruptly!. Regards, Chris

Hi,

Plantguy, you had a nice family :D Mine prefer to eat the leaves of carrot and fennel...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Saw a duck I havent seen before down here while fossil hunting recently. Couldnt get very close and a quick shot caught some detail.

attachicon.gifUnknown duck.jpg

It was guarding a retention pond where I was fossiling. Although I think it is a Black bellied whistling duck I heard nothing as it left rather abruptly!. Regards, Chris

'Tis indeed. They are cavity-nesters, you know; not a common attribute among the waterfowl.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

attachicon.gifUnknown duck.jpg

Did it make whistling noises as it left?

It's a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (Dendrocygna autumnalis). We get them over on this coast fairly regularly in the wetlands areas. You can hear when a squadron of them are headed your way by the distinctive whistling sounds they make. They look a little like this is they'll sit for a photo:

post-7713-0-93875300-1409406411_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-56855800-1409406426_thumb.jpg post-7713-0-05343000-1409406423_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

Did it make whistling noises as it left?

It's a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (Dendrocygna autumnalis). We get them over on this coast fairly regularly in the wetlands areas. You can hear when a squadron of them are headed your way by the distinctive whistling sounds they make. They look a little like this is they'll sit for a photo:

attachicon.gifIMG_9567 copy.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_5751.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_5699.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

Hey Ken, great photos--thanks! Nope, I was looking at a quiet one--all by itself. No sounds even when passing me on the return fly by---even stinking Mallards make some noise usually when they skidaddle away. Maybe it was sick or something or maybe I startled it so bad as it was getting close to dusk and may have been hunkering down for the evening and I blew up those bedding plans! Regards, Chris

Are you sure those first 2 aren't really stuffed and planted there for photo ops? They look too posed! Neat! Regards, Chris

Unless they are really good fakes with movement capability, they are real. Here is another shot:

post-7338-0-15679600-1409414993_thumb.jpg

You have to bribe these rascals with sugar water to slow them down for a picture. This time of year they are very active morning and late afternoon, constantly buzzing and chasing each other from the feeder. The feeder is about 4 feet from a glass paneled door. Males will immediately take off for the trees if a human appears at the door. Females will leave the feeder and approach the door, hovering at eye level and checking you out. Sometimes they fly away, but often return to the feeder after they have given you the once over.

post-8873-0-02641500-1409511247_thumb.jpg post-8873-0-41350100-1409511298_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Hi,

Marvelous little bird. I love them.

Is it the male with the little orange point ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

Marvelous little bird. I love them.

Is it the male with the little orange point ?

Coco

This is an immature male Ruby-throated Hummingbird, who is just starting to to grow his beautiful throat feathers.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

...but often return to the feeder after they have given you the once over.

Unless you inflate your throat pouch. :)

Excellent shots, Snolly! What camera did you use for these?

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Unless you inflate your throat pouch. :)

Excellent shots, Snolly! What camera did you use for these?

Yes, non-display of the pouch is essential! The rig is a Nikon DSLR D600 with a Nikkor zoom at 300mm. I'm using autofocus, as manual would be impossible with their speed. However, I have tried manual focus on the spot where I think they will be. Right now I'm monkeying with the various focus point settings the camera offers. I had always favored a single center focus point, but the manual recommends a different command for erratic action. We'll see. Here is a shot from this AM. She is looking around to see if any of her playmates are getting ready to dive bomb her. The image is a multipass jpeg and may take a little while to display correctly.

post-8873-0-88193500-1409857463_thumb.jpg

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The red reflected from the feeder on her white breast and belly is a startling artifact!

The red reflected from the feeder on her white breast and belly is a startling artifact!

It was taken in strong morning sun with the light coming directly at the critter's back. The reflected red may chiefly be coming from the clear glass tube containing the red colored "nectar."

Sadly, I believe this beauty was on its last leg. It just didn't want to fly.

Viceroy butterfly - Limenitis archippus

post-5130-0-68983400-1410062030_thumb.jpg post-5130-0-44438700-1410062055_thumb.jpg

This guy found his way in the house! Lookin' for love in all the wrong places, I guess. I snapped a pic before putting him out to do his job.

Grass Spider - Agenelopsis sp.

post-5130-0-30944100-1410062333_thumb.jpg

Steve

Before entering the water, a herd of goosebilled dinosaurs nervously scan the mist shrouded shoreline for signs of Liopleurodon.

post-8873-0-06108300-1410356023_thumb.jpg

Some recent birds....

Turkey vultures:

post-6808-0-78209100-1410557540_thumb.jpg

I don't think they'd be happy if the siren went off.

Great egret today:

post-6808-0-17749500-1410557548_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

Yes, non-display of the pouch is essential! The rig is a Nikon DSLR D600 with a Nikkor zoom at 300mm. I'm using autofocus, as manual would be impossible with their speed. However, I have tried manual focus on the spot where I think they will be. Right now I'm monkeying with the various focus point settings the camera offers. I had always favored a single center focus point, but the manual recommends a different command for erratic action. We'll see. Here is a shot from this AM. She is looking around to see if any of her playmates are getting ready to dive bomb her. The image is a multipass jpeg and may take a little while to display correctly.

attachicon.gifDSC_5030psz.jpg

Quite nice indeed. I guess I need a feeder. Chasing them around a firecracker bush and expecting good photographic results aint working for me! :goodjob: