Sure, that's what you think they were doing! That looks like an aster not a serta. Good picture! Regards, Chris

The poor things were probably waiting out the cool snap.

Context is critical.

Some recent birds....

Great egret today:

attachicon.gif0028-white-egret.jpg

A jealous, egotistical SC egret says; "What's so Great about him? Doesn't look all that Great to me. If you want Great, check me out. I'm a Great Egret! Nice picture though."

post-8873-0-06597800-1410640524_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I love finding those Wolf Spiders with their babies. Spiders are given such a bad rap, and are underrated in their benefits.

And that butterfly is beautiful! I don't know that I've seen one of those.

Great shots as usual, Missourian!

Here's a couple of spiders I found while I was doing yard work...and they were, too!

Funnel Weaver/ Grass Spider- Agenelopsis sp.

post-5130-0-56002500-1411306770_thumb.jpg

Nursery Web Spider- Pisurina mira

post-5130-0-35285900-1411306830_thumb.jpg post-5130-0-96961200-1411306861_thumb.jpg

Steve

Sometimes a trace is all you get to see.

post-8873-0-97783200-1411354161_thumb.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I was viewing the pictures I had taken that day and noticed something pretty cool. If you look closely at the ladybugs back you can see the reflection of the sky, the plant, and me.

post-12957-0-17677000-1411381986_thumb.jpg

I was viewing the pictures I had taken that day and noticed something pretty cool. If you look closely at the ladybugs back you can see the reflection of the sky, the plant, and me.

Cool observation!

Steve

That is a neat ladybug shot! I'm liking the spiders too....I saw this orb weaver as I was trying to cut thru the woods and get to the creek....taken with my Samsung Galaxy phone.

post-1240-0-17577900-1411435306_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-07275900-1411435309_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

That is a neat ladybug shot! I'm liking the spiders too....I saw this orb weaver as I was trying to cut thru the woods and get to the creek....taken with my Samsung Galaxy phone.

attachicon.gifSpider.jpgattachicon.gifSpidercrop.jpg

Regards, Chris

Chris, great critter! She looks like she is open for business! I continue to be impressed with the macro capabilities of the phones. It was Missourian, who informed me his great close-ups were bring shot with a phone. When I had inquired about some shots, I was expecting a revelation of employment of a pricey macro lens. But no, the phone cameras are doing a wonderful job. As a bonus they are often with you and that means that a small drama may be readily captured. For example, I was returning from a walk today and noticed a wasp lugging a caterpillar across the sidewalk. I went inside to grab the DSLR. Of course, when I returned, they were gone.

25z5a0z.jpg

^Anyone know what that is? Found it on the sidewalk at my campus recently. Not sure at all what species of bug it is only that I don't think I've seen it before. Really odd.

Also in another question. When you go out hiking for fossils and see a non-fossil bone (say like an animal bone) would you pick it up or not?

This looks like one of the native carpenter bees.

As to bones in the woods, I'll pick them up, look them over, and put them back to complete their cycle.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

As a bonus they are often with you and that means that a small drama may be readily captured.

Absolutely. The phone you will have with you always. Also, I don't like carrying around a large horsey camera, even if I venture out specifically for photography.

For example, I was returning from a walk today and noticed a wasp lugging a caterpillar across the sidewalk. I went inside to grab the DSLR. Of course, when I returned, they were gone.

Like this?:

post-6808-0-57317900-1411501252_thumb.jpg

This is from a video (which is yet another advantage of the phone cam). I spotted the wasp carrying the caterpillar across a bike path. When I approach, the wasp flew away, but it stuck around nearby. I knew it'd return for the bug, so I positioned the camera and waited for it to return.

On the other hand, if I ever get into bird photography, it's DSLR or bust.

Context is critical.

This bug got whacked by a bird and landed on the roof of my daughter's car.

I thought yellow jackets only drank pop? :D

Taken with a 2 year old pantech flex phone. The macro is actually better than the overall shots if I can keep still.

post-4721-0-16539300-1411502037_thumb.jpg

post-4721-0-96203000-1411502057_thumb.jpg

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

This bug got whacked by a bird and landed on the roof of my daughter's car.

I thought yellow jackets only drank pop? :D

Taken with a 2 year old pantech flex phone. The macro is actually better than the overall shots if I can keep still.

Yep, Yellow Jackets eat meat as well as Mountain Dew. I've seen them feeding on all types of done-in critters.

attachicon.gifMeal.jpg

This is from a video (which is yet another advantage of the phone cam). I spotted the wasp carrying the caterpillar across a bike path. When I approach, the wasp flew away, but it stuck around nearby. I knew it'd return for the bug, so I positioned the camera and waited for it to return.

On the other hand, if I ever get into bird photography, it's DSLR or bust.

LOL, that looks exactly like the wasp/cat duo I missed shooting.

Hi,

I think this butterfly is Acherontia atropos, 6,5 cm (2" 1/2) :

2nr3cib.jpg

14lq6pl.jpg

It was found dead in a flue.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I do believe I am seeing the "death's head" marking. This is not a moth we have in the US, so I have never seen one. I looked at this brief article and found the creature has a fascinating association with bees. Very interesting, thank you for the post.

Acherontia atropos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi everyone,

We had to do a butterfly count this year at school and found there was lots more than last year. I learnt that was because there was lots of wasps last year and not very many this year.

And its all to do with the wasps eating the caterpillars we also have lots and lots of spiders this year. I think that's because there are no wasps to eat the flies so the spiders are having a good feed.

Regards

Elliot

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

I do believe I am seeing the "death's head" marking. This is not a moth we have in the US, so I have never seen one. I looked at this brief article and found the creature has a fascinating association with bees. Very interesting, thank you for the post.

Acherontia atropos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi snolly50,

My friend breeds the Death Head moth here in the UK...thats interesting you don't have it in the US.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Hi everyone,

We had to do a butterfly count this year at school and found there was lots more than last year. I learnt that was because there was lots of wasps last year and not very many this year.

And its all to do with the wasps eating the caterpillars we also have lots and lots of spiders this year. I think that's because there are no wasps to eat the flies so the spiders are having a good feed.

Regards

Elliot

I am glad that you are learning ecology; there may be no more important a subject in the world today (in the long run, at least). :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi snolly50,

My friend breeds the Death Head moth here in the UK...thats interesting you don't have it in the US.

No, I don't believe we have the "death's head" species in the States; but we do have several members of the family, Sphingidae. The Sphinx moths are amazing creatures with their hummingbird-like flight. Where I live in the Southeast, we have a day flying example, the Clearwing moth, Hemaris thysle. The Sphinx are wonderful creatures, but the immature form of one type causes me a lot of trouble. The caterpillars,Tobacco Hornworm voraciously devour my tomato plants! Here is a photo of one of the rascals. Unfortunately for the individual and fortunately for gardeners, it is infested with the larvae of the tiny, parasitic wasp, Contesia congregatus.

post-8873-0-75950800-1411762053_thumb.jpg