RB's Fossil Crab Prep Thread !!!

RJB

This is indeed magnificent! :wub: :drool: :wub: :drool: :wub:

On the other hand, the "normal" one now feels completely inadequate.  Fortunately I am a licensed crab therapist.  I will happily treat the poor fellow pro bono, but for that price I can't afford to travel to the patient, so the patient will have to come and stay with me.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

17 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

On the other hand, the "normal" one now feels completely inadequate.  Fortunately I am a licensed crab therapist.  I will happily treat the poor fellow pro bono, but for that price I can't afford to travel to the patient, so the patient will have to come and stay with me.

Some funny guys here for sure.  The only problem with your offer is,,,,,  You will still need to buy a 'Rare Fossil Transfer Permit'  and you will also need a "Rare Fossil Therapist Fixer Upper' license.  I here both of those are very very expensive and im probably the only guy in the United states that has the kind of government bank account  apptitudal moneys transferral acceptance approval for this kind of transaction.  Just give me your all your personal information and I will take care of it for you.  Thanks man.  Your the best.  :)

RB

Absolutely stunning! That’s better then museum quality there! Definitely a once in a lifetime crab!

Wooooow!

The centerpiece for an altar of worship for the fossil crab gods :zen:

Redefining what is an A-grade or is this an A+++ Grade?

That rind is the icing on the cake and beautifully frames it.

Hi Ron,

Just wondering when you glue concs together like this.

If you have surfaces (Shell) exposed in the split that will end up being prepped and exposed after it is glued back together;

Does it matter if they get glued as well? Does it make it hard to prep or does the glue prep off with the scribe?

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Does it matter if they get glued as well? Does it make it hard to prep or does the glue prep off with the scribe?

Nobody likes to work with glue in the way but there is no way around it.  If the shell is in really good pristeen condition the glue can be worked off, just do it slowly and very carefully.  For me, I would rather use too  much glue than not enough.

RB

@RJB if you would have posted it at $3,600,000.00, then we would have had a problem...but, when you added the extra $57,249.12, I knew you were just joking. :default_rofl:

Congratulations!  It's awesome!

:SlapHands:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Oh yeah Ron, there is the idol that all us fossil crab collector/prepper freaks long for for our collections.  A long time fulfilling that dream.  Congratulations bud.  Now I really "hate" you...ha ha . Beautimus

Wow.... congratulations there Ron, congratulations.  You have your gold medal, probably cost you arthritis, tinnitus, nights in the dog box etc - but you have done it!

You are a master and have truely earnt it.

• Enjoyed 1

Hi,

Very nice crab !

On 07/11/2019 at 6:29 AM, 6ix said:

nights in the dog box

:zzzzscratchchin: Do you sleep outside ? :unsure: :rolleyes:

@6ix I just saw you look reversing from the other side of the earth.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 4 months later...

Its been quite awhile since ive worked on any crab concs.  Well, I got one started.  I bought this crab from a good freind of mine.  I also knew exactly where it came from and new that it just might be a keeper.  These concretions from this particular site also are known to fall apart once prep starts and this one was no exception.  I wasnt in it 20 minutes when it came apart. 

This is how it started.  You can see some of mother natures cracks in it.

HW001A.JPG.ab4c7c348bbecf87496b74712e2e78ec.JPG

I had just started prep when a huge chunk came off the rock showing the carapace. 

HW001B.JPG.8f0c6dd61074c64310c5be9abbc19ef0.JPG

Then it really fell apart.  Glued and clamped it back together and two days later I put in almost an 8 hour prep session!

HW001C.JPG.ddc0baaad16284c5e533c2e22bb54b28.JPG

Here you can see how the 'elbows' are pointed down.  Not a good thing.  Looks like its gunna be a 'claw kisser'?   Im going out today to see if I can find any tippy tippy's? 

HW001H.JPG.969d29a9b0926f4b5aabc240ec08f49e.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Some more time on this today and looks like im gunna end up with some 'tippy tippy's'.  Wooooooop,,,,  woooooooooooooop!!!  

Here is a close up of a glue jointgoing alongside the Carpus and going right through some legs.  A pain in the you know what but its all workable.

HW001J.JPG.d23eb86fd108d4497bef94d926e7ad1b.JPG

Starting to look like a crab now.  Still got about 10 or so more hours but this one looks like it will just make it into the cabinet!!! 

HW001K.JPG.fd76b923b388e128e6dfb5bbed7b7a20.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Been having lots of trouble getting onto the internet!  Then when im on it takes forever to get anywhere!  He goes nothing.   Ive put in a couple more prep sessions on this crab and beside becoming a very dificult prep job its becoming quite exciting.   Besides the problems its becoming quite exciting!!!  Its an 8 legger but a couple of legs are stacked.  Thats a bad thing, but better to have them that way than not at all.

Here you can see the 4th leg on the right side going directly underneath the 3rd leg.  Sucks, but I will take it.  I may try something with this later on my next prep session?

HW001L.JPG.a6f77dc382c9d4c3e71893f2c1b67fdc.JPG 

The Dactyls are exposed which is fantastic.  I was expecting them to go under the face.  You can now see all 8 legs.  Its becoming quite the difficult prep job being that the tipy tippy's are taking nose dives into the rock, but thats gunna help to make this a really super neato crab and this one (after finished) is going into the collection!!!  Just legs everywhere!!!  Im falling in love again. 

HW001M.JPG.cbaf3e0a9bf2718e40a2a5e1162e1537.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Beautiful :wub: this lockdown is going to do heaps for the Prepping scene