RB's Fossil Crab Prep Thread !!!

RJB

Woohoo! Very nice! :drool:

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

3 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

Could this be "the one"?

I was thinkin the very same thing just yesterday!!!

RB

be-patient.jpg

The final leg of your journey I see.. 

• I found this Informative 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Yes, I can "feel" that 8th leg lurking down there, you just need to dive deeper along the edge of the carapace.  That open space between the upper leg and those two grouped together suggests on in there.....at least to me.   Hope its there and you can call it PERFECT.

Almost 5 hours of prep today and the super good thing,,,,,,,,  leg #8!!!   One of the best days ever for crab prep!!!  Ive only prepped out 3000 crabs and today I was so excited I couldn't believe it!!!   I found the 8th leg and started to fallow it out and came to a point where I thought for sure the tippy tippy was not there!!!  Im always 2nd guessing myself but once I dug a tiny bit deeper I found the very beginning of  where the tippy tippy begins and had to take a break,,,,,,, I have not been this excited for many years.  No way to exspress my excitment with meer words!!!   Followed out the 8th to the very tippy tip and was just overwhelmed with a super good feeling that ive not felt for a very long time!!!  Just the best dang thing in the whole freakin world!!!   Only took me 28 years to find an 8 legger with 8 tippy tips!!!!!!!!!!!    This crab has lots of stickyness and a few problems that needs fixing and I had to be super careful because this is what I call a 'Glass Crab'!!!   There are areas where you are taking off rock and just bearly touch the crab shell material and it pops off like nobody's business!!!!!!!  Just like glass!!!  I still have about 20 hours to shape the rock and do all the rock smoothing but I have 8 tippy tippys so I can now call it quits!!!!  This is where I hold my arm out in front of me and drop the mike!!!!!!   

This is where I found the last leg.  Just where Steve thought it would be. 

Glass001M.JPG.d8fe8e4ee129aad1cd3f3db4bd5ee946.JPG

Lots of rock removal and also fallowed out the last leg clear to the tippy tip!!!  A very good feeling indeed!!!

Glass001N.JPG.2c9685bab9b061776ef06a1b6bcf4958.JPG

9 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

:yay-smiley-1: Wow, he sure did hide those legs well!

Yeah,,, to say the least.  Ive never gone this deep before.  Makes me wonder about many of the prepped out crabs I have in my display case?  Not that I need any more projects!

RB

Just now, RJB said:

Yeah,,, to say the least.  Ive never gone this deep before.  Makes me wonder about many of the prepped out crabs I have in my display case?  Not that I need any more projects!

RB

You sure must have the patience of a saint to be able to find those things.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 10/6/2019 at 9:36 PM, Fossilis Willis said:

That big fella is coming along nicely. Man that's a lot of rock to remove. There is some serious potential there. I like the color of the matrix and the almost perfect ring of what looks like pretty solid rind. Not to mention there is more than enough room for all the legs to be intact and out stretched. By the way, very glad to see you found time between blizzards to restored full power to your prep garage.:D

Like I said, "intact and out stretched." I would like to say a called it, but I am reminded that even a broken clock is right twice a day. Congratulations. Just a bit shaping and smoothing and you sir have a new centerpiece for your collection. This guy is gonna  take up some real estate on the old display shelf.

3 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

This guy is gonna  take up some real estate on the old display shelf.

I was just thinkin about this yesterday.  Gunna have to do some re-arranging on my Pulalius shelf.

RB

Congratualtions, Ron!

Well done, sir! Well done.  :wub:  :default_faint::yay-smiley-1::zen:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

See, I told you I had a feeling, just not at the location I thought.ha ha.  Boy that one hugged close to that claw.   Yahooo, finally bud,  congratulations.

Not quite 5 hours today but to me I got a lot done on this beautiful 8 legger! All I did today was lots of delicate rock removal around parts of this crab and trying to get ready for the major part of rock smoothing. All the area in front of the face was quite difficult and quite time consuming but really nice to get it done. I have left a bunch of rock in front of the Chela's just to keep them safe till I get most of the rock smoothing done and out of the way. Then I will attack the front of those claws. Very scary for me! Looking very nice though. Im one happy clam! 1f642.png

Glass001O.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Your joyous description brought a big smile to my face, Ron. I could just imagine you following that last leg a little further, a little further, with the excitement growing all the way to the tippy tip. Wham! You nailed it!   :crab:                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

scampering-crab-s.gif.46e69ae5a3e202efe4b788fc14d018e0.gif

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I had a ruff 4 days but finally got out to the prep garage today!!! Woooooo Hoooooo!!! Just so you can see how messy things get when grinding, here ya go in the first pic. About 3 hours of grinding and about 1 hour or scribing. Ive got about 4 or so more hours of scribing and some more grinding, (A smaller grinding tool to finish), and then this cute little baby will be done and ready for the shelf!!! I didnt keep track of all the hours this prep project has taken and Im glad I didnt. This one is for keeps and dont care how many hours. The next post is gunna be super nice! Thats a garantee!!!

RB

With the rock grinding, the dust gets everywhere, not just the crab but also all over my arm and my belly too.  In this picture you can see how ive been smoothing out the rock in from of the claws. 

Glass001P.JPG.2c006f9a198db562ca18d49008beb549.JPG

In this pic you can see how ive done some scribe work in some areas close to the crab and Ive still got to do some serious work in front of the Chela's and then some finish work with a smaller grinder tool.  Gunna be real nice! 

Glass001Q.JPG.ec207a89562fd3afcb3383737a50947e.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Wow, wow wow!

A thing of beauty. I’d have to be looking at that every day to make sure I didn’t dream that I found it!

looking forward to seeing this one finished!

Took quite a bit of prep time to get this 8 legger done but by golly with enough determination it got done!!! Exstreamly Happy with it. I just told the misses that its the best piece of beat up cra-p I have!!! Ha!  But seriously its the best crab ive ever done! This is a rather large Pulalius vulgaris from the Lincoln Creek Formation in Washington and Eocene in age. Now that ive got the very elusive 8 tippy tippy crab that only took me 28 years I must now start my journey to find the 2nd one. Funny.

1st pic shows this crab in all its glory, 2nd pic shows this crab along side an average sized crab of the same species and the 3rd pic shows all the breaks where it was glued back together. It was quite the project, but what a super fun and exciting project it was for me. The administrator wont like this but its for sale,,,, only $3,657,249.12 not sure how I got the 12 cents but a hardy har har. Not for sale at any price!!!

Glass001R.JPG

Glass001T.JPG

Glass001S.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

What a stunning piece! Incredible work. I think this one is now my new favourite of your crabs. :crab:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer