RB's Fossil Crab Prep Thread !!!

RJB

22 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That’s an easy but expensive fix probably. New trench, new wires, empty wallet.

Yeah but,,, we are in the middle of a record breaking snow storm at the moment!!!

12 hours ago, Randyw said:

that’s what the extension cords are for! Run them from inside the house and power your 110 dremel rotary tools

Its the 220 thats the problem.  

RB

9 hours ago, RJB said:

Yeah but,,, we are in the middle of a record breaking snow storm at the moment!!!

That makes digging hard! We are still in the mid 90s down here!!!

Ok, finally got my electrical problem all fixed up.  Took a heck of alot of work and beat the poop out of me but got rested up and today got some prep work done.  One happy camper here!  Im finding out that this crab is not quite like the 'glass' I was anticipating but it does have some 'sticky' issues and also some glue issues with all the pieces that had to go back together.  The good thing is that its now being exsposed but have a heck of lot more prep time involved!!!  This is the biggest Pulalius concretion ive ever worked on.  Takes some serious prep time just for rock removal!  Probably sounds like im complaining but this really is fun for me. 

RB

This is what it looked like when my electrical quit working.  This way no one has to go back a page to see the difference.

Glass001F.JPG.d8bc3058b4fdc39876352b7d021e9234.JPG

This is where ive gotten today.  Ive put in some lines to show all the different pieces that had to be gued back together. 

Glass001H-2.jpg.06bd8671baad88660604af99e6ceafd9.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Glad to hear you’re back up and running! It’s amazing how many times tough prep and fun are used in conjunction  for us preppers....:P

1 hour ago, Randyw said:

Glad to hear you’re back up and running! It’s amazing how many times tough prep and fun are used in conjunction  for us preppers....

Yeah, 'prep and fun'.  Its also amazing how much work and moneys are involved too!!!  Takes a lot of both to get the rock projects home and into ones prep room/garage/ space but its a passion I have loved for almost 30 years now. 

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

but its a passion I have loved for almost 30 years now. 

Hopefully I can say the same in another 29 years... of course I’ll be almost 90 by then  :P

That big fella is coming along nicely. Man that's a lot of rock to remove. There is some serious potential there. I like the color of the matrix and the almost perfect ring of what looks like pretty solid rind. Not to mention there is more than enough room for all the legs to be intact and out stretched. By the way, very glad to see you found time between blizzards to restored full power to your prep garage.:D

On 10/6/2019 at 10:36 PM, Fossilis Willis said:

I like the color of the matrix and the almost perfect ring of what looks like pretty solid rind.

yeah right.   3 of the left legs are spread out purty good but wondering about the 4th.  The legs on the right?  No idea yet.  and hoping with all my might that the claws dont go under the face?!!!

RB

3 hours ago, RJB said:

hoping with all my might that the claws dont go under the face?

:fingerscrossed: I'll hope with you. It can be cool to have the very tips of a claw tucked right under where the mandible is as if it were feeding.

• I found this Informative 1

After a bunch of moving wood and doing some 'battening' down the hatches I finally made it out to the garage and put in about 3 more hours of prep.  Lots and lots of rock to remove on this conc which is taking up lots of the prep time but by golly im starting to see some crab!  Bad thing is,,, ,some very very sticky crab im running into!   Good thing is,,,,,  no claws going under the face!   Wooooooop    Wooooooooooooop!!!!   The arms of this crab our taking a nose dive and that will take up some prep time but soooooo nice to have them with the ability of being exsposed!   Now I gotta hope for a good rear end?   Right now im scared.  Not sure if things are where they are supposed to be for the rear end?   Time will tell but over all Im still very happy with this crab.  :)

RB

Glass001I.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

If you factor in all the time and money that goes into prepping fossils, it is almost as good of an investment as sending your bank account info to the Nigerian royalty that we used to get emails from trying to give away their fortune. :heartylaugh:

Looking good. 

Speaking of moving wood, have you used any of your Texas smoker wood yet?

15 hours ago, Fossilis Willis said:

Looking good. Would you mind adding your scale cube to next photo?

Will do but its going to look purty small beside this massive rock!!!

15 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Speaking of moving wood, have you used any of your Texas smoker wood yet?

Not yet my freind.  Gunna be next year. 

RB

19 hours ago, RJB said:

Good thing is,,,,,  no claws going under the face!   Wooooooop    Wooooooooooooop!!!!   The arms of this crab our taking a nose dive and that will take up some prep time but soooooo nice to have them with the ability of being exsposed! 

Hey Ron,  being an amateur on crabs, not quite sure I understand. Given time and your skills, could you not "excavate" the arms where ever they ended up?

Crab109.JPG.bb56676003085ac907d07fd323da1be0.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

22 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Given time and your skills, could you not "excavate" the arms where ever they ended up?

Yes I could but dont like doing that.  I did some like that a very long time ago but now I simply have my 'own style'.   Also, and especially for this one, prepping out the intire chela would totally destroy the most beautiful 'rind' on this concretion. No way in heck would I even consider it. 

RB

• I found this Informative 2

I totally agree with you RJB, no mater how careful you are, some of the outer surface is lost. Once it's broken it's broken, and I cant unsee it, no mater how good the repair is.

Ok, I will say it again.  Lots and lots and lots of rock to remove for this crab conc!!!  To say the least!!!   It may be hard to tell much difference but this is after 2 more prep sessions.  I will post the last pic and the todays pic so noone has to scroll up and down to see the difference.   I put this crab aside and started some other rocks because my heart sank once I realized that there may only be one leg on the right hand side.  I really wanted to cry but in the back of my mind I still had a speck of hope left.  Today I found more leg on  the right hand side.  One happy camper here for sure!!!  Wooooooooop   Wooooooooooop!!!

RB

Glass001I.JPG

Glass001J.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Everything exposed so far seems to be well positioned. I have a feeling you'll work your crab magic and come up with another leg or two before it's all said and done. 

Another 5 hours and 15 minutes today  on this huge concretion.  I was super happy to find the 6th leg today.  Most of this time was removing rock but I was able to start 3-D ing this crab. Its driving me nuts that ive gotten so deep in removing rock and not finding the 7th and 8th leg!!!   Im wondering if they are deep and hugging the claws?   Still gots a long ways to go but its starting to look like a very very nice crab!!!   Here is what it looks like after todays prep attack.  What is truly amazing is that every leg so far has a tippy tippy!!!  :)

RB

Glass001K.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

I was removing lots of rock today and after awhile I ran into the 7th leg!  I was EXSTREAMLY HAPPY!    A short while later my middle son came into the garage and said, "you must have found the 7th leg"?    I asked him how he knew.  He said he heard me do some wooping and hollering.  Ha!!!  This leg is very deep in the rock but finding it was super nice.  and it has its tippy tippy too!   Still have to find #8 but there is still hope. 

RB

Glass001L.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Awesome, Ron! 

Another Grade A fossil.  :wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me