Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2018!

Haravex

37 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice. 

I saw that post, good casts. 

As for the back yard bit, that would be great. 

I've got plenty of neighbours to spare. 

Nah, they can't eat Moroccan...too spicy!

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Nah, they can't eat Moroccan...too spicy!

Most of my neighbours are surprisingly bland. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

My latest mailbox score: Cyphaspis boutscharafinense from Ofaten, Morocco. This little bug measures 31 mm. Probably one of the most beautifel trilobites in my collection.

Cyphaspis.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Thanks to @Nimravis, I was able to go fossil hunting in the middle of a Michigan snow storm this evening.  Farm fresh Georgia Cambrian matrix in the mail!  I'm carefully splitting it with an exacto knife and already have a couple keepers.  The exoskeleton on these is thin and exceedingly fragile.  Even a soft, tiny paint brush can destroy it.  One has to be very lucky to get the entire exoskeleton on one side of the split.  A tiny paint brush dipped in PVA and touched to the edge of the exoskeleton results in the PVA being pulled up underneath.  The shell is so thin and transparent, you can see the PVA wick up underneath.  Serves to stabilize and adhere the shell sufficiently.

Here's the first couple of scores.

Aphelaspis

Resized_20180205_225024.thumb.jpeg.9369e1fe51c3f4937b6725bca99e2d55.jpeg

Resized_20180205_225942.thumb.jpeg.ccf5967e780617c67f234e9deeb0f436.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

21 hours ago, Nimravis said:

@Peat Burns Tony, I am glad that you are finding some nice keepers.

Here's tonight's keeper. So hard to get all the exoskeleton intact. But I love it anyway. 

20180206_223845.thumb.jpg.416338044de7d5cba50b9543e8ad9eec.jpg

Always enjoy a knock on the door by the Letter Carrier when he has a box with a gem in it.  He can keep the bills but I'll gladly take the box.  A quick picture of the latest addition to my UK collection a Theropod tooth from the Isle of Wight

Neovenator - 40 mm 

20180206_183932.thumb.jpg.f3669d7a7164fe6c52c5aa6c09ccc3f0.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Wow that is beautiful and from such a rare location I searched there a while back very hard to find material there.

Very nice score on the tooth.

Some day I hope to add to my collections specimens from across the pond.

The little bugs are nice and glad to see splitting revealed some complete ones.

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Always enjoy a knock on the door by the Letter Carrier when he has a box with a gem in it.  He can keep the bills but I'll gladly take the box.  A quick picture of the latest addition to my UK collection a Theropod tooth from the Isle of Wight

Neovenator - 40 mm 

20180206_183932.thumb.jpg.f3669d7a7164fe6c52c5aa6c09ccc3f0.jpg

Grrrrr

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Neovenator - 40 mm 

That is simply stunning! 

Nice one! :dinothumb:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

So, as I'm still buried under a lot of snow (it is Canada, after all!), I thought I'd share some of my great finds from the postal formation. I've been gathering them over the last month, and still have a lot more to come. 

Some of these are from trades or purchases with other members. I won't name names unless they say I can. Some other stuff came through other sources. So here we go, a b unch of posts to follow. Some of this stuff may be "standard fare," but they fill gaps in my collection.

1. This neat Ordovician asaphid comes from Ourzazate, Morocco. Declivolithus ?alfredi

img-4455_1_orig.jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2. Next up is a nice lichid, Cerartarges sp. nov. Although disarticulated, a nice bug. I had attempted to prep out the mouse ears to reveal the horns, but that did not go over very well. :( The one side popped right off. Fortunately, it was done in my temporary blast box, so it was easy to find the piece and reattach it.

img-4472_1_orig.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

3. I purchased this one for a few reasons, not least of which being that I have a fondness for asaphids. This is the classic Asaphus kowalewskii with its distinct eye stalks, or "peduncles." Despite all efforts of packing, the postal service must have decided to use this package for a surprise game of post office soccer. The eye stalks were in several bits. And, since I don't exactly have the kind of hands and fingers that can thread a needle without exhausting my entire lexicon of expletives, the reattachments here are temporary until I can fix it up better: 

img-4459.jpg?1516312538

img-4458.jpg?1516312542

• I found this Informative 5

4. A Moroccan classic, Hollardops mesocristata. This one is in impeccable shape and is a real delight to behold. 

img-4460_orig.jpg

img-4461_orig.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

5. I desperately needed this tool. Yes, the humble, lowly pin vise. This is a double-collared version that set me back a whole dollar with free shipping. Finally I can do some decent pin prep without my hands cramping and me hunched over with the sewing needle in hand looking every bit like some kind of ogre - Now I can look like an ogre with a pin vise instead. :P 

img-4483_1.jpeg?1517946408

• Enjoyed 1

Hi All

It is my birthday today and I have a couple of fossils gifts .

A very nice Ludwidgia from the Isle Sky uk. I am very please as I have only ever found one before and I gave that to a friend .

A starfish lot, Eocene London Clay Isle of Sheppey uk very rare from this location . @Tidgy's Dad Any ideas on the starfish 

Thanks for looking. 

Cheers bobby

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Grrrrr

Is that an expression of happiness for me :D or sadness its not in your collection :(

6. This one is not a common find at all, and one would be hard-pressed to find this one on the popular auction site. The result of a great trade that included some other delights, here is a fragment of the Ordovician Dolerobacilicus sp. from South Korea. :wub:

img-4478_orig.jpg

7. And along with that trade is this stunning Devonian phacopid, and hard-to-pronounce, Mrakibina cattoi from the El-Oftal Formation, Morocco. 

img-4482.jpg?1517946918

img-4481_orig.jpg

8. And finally, this pair of Flexis I could use some assistance in properly identifying to species level. The person I got these from did not know much about the source, only that these had been in a display cabinet for decades, and *might* have been collected in Illinois. They are just lovely and very nicely preserved. 

And I have no fewer than six more bugs coming my way in the coming month or so. May as well start off the collecting season on a high note!

img-4484_orig.jpg

16 minutes ago, Kane said:

3. I purchased this one for a few reasons, not least of which being that I have a fondness for asaphids. This is the classic Asaphus kowalewskii with its distinct eye stalks, or "peduncles." Despite all efforts of packing, the postal service must have decided to use this package for a surprise game of post office soccer. The eye stalks were in several bits. And, since I don't exactly have the kind of hands and fingers that can thread a needle without exhausting my entire lexicon of expletives, the reattachments here are temporary until I can fix it up better: 

img-4459.jpg?1516312538

img-4458.jpg?1516312542

Very nice! One thing to note when you redo the repair is to rotate the eyes 180 degrees - the visual surfaces are currently facing inwards, when they should be pointing out, as illustrated in the Public Domain image below.

Asaphus_kowalewskii,_Middle_Ordovician,_

• I found this Informative 3

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.