Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2018!

Haravex

22 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Just arrived.  2 pound piece of rough agatized dinosaur bone.  Can't wait to slice and polish.  Been wanting one of these for a long time and finally got around to buying one!:megdance:

Resized_20180212_152641.thumb.jpeg.cd17dc6fd6f17065d3586238ab1e4d5e.jpeg

Wow, that’s a chunk and a half! Nice pattern and colour. 

Just now, JohnBrewer said:

No!

I've got one right now that's been stuck at heathrow for 6 days, think it's at customs.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

2 minutes ago, LiamL said:

I've got one right now that's been stuck at heathrow for 6 days, think it's at customs.

Hmmm. You know no customs duty is paid on fossils, you can claim back if they charge you and you think it’s worth it. If outside the EU you’re liable for VAT tho and that’s on the shipping as well as the value declared. 

9 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Hmmm. You know no customs duty is paid on fossils, you can claim back if they charge you and you think it’s worth it. If outside the EU you’re liable for VAT tho and that’s on the shipping as well as the value declared. 

He wrote on the form Sharks teeth, not fossil shark teeth i think.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

TFF members are truly kind, generous folks. I received an incredible surprise today from our own @Darktooth who sent it just because that is just the type of epic awesome sauce that he is. I've been quietly pining for one of these big bad boys for a while now after I had received some lovely fragments. This one is nearly complete, the classic Devonian Homalonotid, Dipleura dekayi from the state of NY. The segmentation is crisp and stunning, and the smooth pygidium tucked beneath sports a speckled appearance. This one measures a nice 10 cm (~4") along the axial. I just love the shovel/snout shape of the tip of the cephalon. This makes my week! This will definitely be occupying premium real estate on my WIP trilobite display area.

IMG_4491.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg

IMG_4493.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

TFF members are truly kind, generous folks. I received an incredible surprise today from our own @Darktooth who sent it just because that is just the type of epic awesome sauce that he is. I've been quietly pining for one of these big bad boys for a while now after I had received some lovely fragments. This one is nearly complete, the classic Devonian Homalonotid, Dipleura dekayi from the state of NY. The segmentation is crisp and stunning, and the smooth pygidium tucked beneath sports a speckled appearance. This one measures a nice 10 cm (~5") along the axial. I just love the shovel/snout shape of the tip of the cephalon. This makes my week!

How lovely! (both the trilobite and the gesture):wub:

There are indeed some very generous folk out there. 

Altruistic fossil folk, giving in no expectation of receiving. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

What are you cutting with @Peat Burns?

Thanks for the comments.  I'm very pleased with it. Paid $30 for the 2lb chunk.  I'm using a large, water-cooled tile cutter.  It has cut through most rocks, even silicious conglomerate, like a hot knife through butter but took forever on the agatized bone.  Tough stuff!  May need a new blade after I'm done slicing this thing :)

• I found this Informative 2

11 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Thanks for the comments.  I'm very pleased with it. Paid $30 for the 2lb chunk.  I'm using a large, water-cooled tile cutter.  It has cut through most rocks, even silicious conglomerate, like a hot knife through butter but took forever on the agatized bone.  Tough stuff!  May need a new blade after I'm done slicing this thing :)

That’s a serious sized tile saw. Mine probably only cuts 3” high. A pain really as I have a nice circular lump of bone I want sliced like coasters. Hint hint UK members with something that might do the job......

Hi all 

I got a gift from my friend today containing  some ammonites .Very pleased.

All the ammonites were collected in 1950s and most of them are from lost localities. I will be add a full IDs when I repost them on my best ammonite collection thread .

Liparoceras Bechiiceras Gallicum

Tmetoceras Scissum

Andrognoceras

Microconch

Echioceras

cheers Bobby

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

8 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi all 

All the ammonites were collected in 1950s and most of them are from lost localities. I will be add a full IDs when I repost the on my best ammonite collection thread .

Tmetoceras Scissum

Andrognoceras

Microconch

Echioceras

cheers Bobby

Great variety in that lot! And the fact that they were collected from localities that are no more lends them an additional specialness. :ammonite01:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

19 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi all 

All the ammonites were collected in 1950s and most of them are from lost localities. I will be add a full IDs when I repost them on my best ammonite collection thread .

Tmetoceras Scissum

Andrognoceras

Microconch

Echioceras

cheers Bobby

image.jpeg

Oh boy! :envy::ammonite01:

@Kane Thanks for the kind words. I made you a promise and I wanted to fulfill that. I know that it went to a good home. :D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

43 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi all 

Tmetoceras Scissum

Andrognoceras

Microconch

Echioceras

cheers Bobby

Lovely, Bobby! :envy:

You must be well chuffed! 

What a lovely gift. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png