Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2018!

Haravex

Just now, Douvilleiceras said:

Very nice! One thing to note when you redo the repair is to rotate the eyes 180 degrees - the visual surfaces are currently facing inwards, when they should be pointing out, as illustrated in the Public Domain image below.

Absolutely! I knew they were facing in the opposite orientation, but it was all I could manage with the tweezers and about 20 minutes of fumbling and cussing! :D It will certainly be a task for a more... patient time. :P I may even invest in rubber-ended tweezers so that I can maintain a more steady grip on the tiny pieces. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Kane @Peat Burns @gigantoraptor wow, some incredible trilobites I see!!!

@Troodon that is a gorgeous tooth! And the first Neovenator tooth I see too :wub:

@Bobby Rico Happy birthday!!! :yay-smiley-1:And nice new acquaintances too

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

16 minutes ago, Douvilleiceras said:

Asaphus_kowalewskii,_Middle_Ordovician,_

I have always seen these type of bugs as a packaging nightmare. I'd almost want to carry it in hand to the recipient.

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

45 minutes ago, Kane said:

3. I purchased this one for a few reasons, not least of which being that I have a fondness for asaphids. This is the classic Asaphus kowalewskii with its distinct eye stalks, or "peduncles." Despite all efforts of packing, the postal service must have decided to use this package for a surprise game of post office soccer. The eye stalks were in several bits. And, since I don't exactly have the kind of hands and fingers that can thread a needle without exhausting my entire lexicon of expletives, the reattachments here are temporary until I can fix it up better: 

img-4459.jpg?1516312538

img-4458.jpg?1516312542

Snow is nice !Just had a nice lunch running sessions in fresh snow , pure bliss . Just curious , as I purchased a few of these russian bugs a while back . How were they packaged in your case ?Mine made the trip through post offices without a scratch , but moving twice within a year proved too much for one of my kowalewskii stalk ( but nobody to blame for except myself ...)

Those calymenids may be Gravicalymene celebra, but I'm not 100% sure.  Can we see a more straight-on view of the glabella?

Don

7 minutes ago, taj said:

Snow is nice !Just had a nice lunch running sessions in fresh snow , pure bliss . Just curious , as I purchased a few of these russian bugs a while back . How were they packaged in your case ?Mine made the trip through post offices without a scratch , but moving twice within a year proved too much for one of my kowalewskii stalk ( but nobody to blame for except myself ...)

Heh. Snow gets in the way of getting out in the field, so naturally I am averse to it. Commuting in lake-effect blizzards is not terribly fun, either. At least the cold is nowhere near as bad as it was growing up in Ottawa. :P 

I can in no way fault the packaging: it was expertly suspended, and would have endured the usual shocks, bumps, and dumps of parcel delivery. This seemed as though it went through a much more "vigorous" delivery process, possibly due to carelessness on the part of someone along the delivery chain.

@FossilDAWG: sure thing! I was possibly thinking celebra due to that nodular part of the glabella (although I would be dead wrong in saying Flexicalymene).

img-4485_orig.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Every so often I will get a package from our postal gorillas that looks like it was tossed out of the plane at 30,000 feet. Not really sure what it is they do to bash a parcel up so badly, but I am envisioning them putting it in the cardboard crusher for a cycle or two.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Should have done this a LONG time ago, but couldn’t because of the photo problem. Anyways, some two weeks ago I got an awesome package from Doren @caldigger. A big bunch of beautiful fossil seashells (from the Pleistocene) from California!!! As you guys know, seashells are my favorites. And here I definitely got some great ones: bivalves, gastropods and scaphopods. Also, as they are from California, they are all (I think) new species for my collection, which is also fantastic!

Plus, most of the shells are from the Eemian, 120’000 years old, which is exactly the same age as most of the shells at the Zandmotor, my usual hunting spot; so it’s very interesting to be able to compare the different species from the same age. 

He was also very nice to include some surprise fossil shark teeth from STH. Love the colors! 

Basically lots of great new stuff for my collection! Thank you so much Doren for this awesome trade! :D:fistbump:

Best regards,

Max

2B6CF051-6699-4FD2-9B4E-73CFCBF3144B.thumb.jpeg.c07e294fa3e864071b4948d8d231aaa0.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Completely forgot about this one. A nearly complete, 3 inch (7 cm) Coronocephalus jastrowi from Hunan Prov., China with a whole lot of segments!

img-4480_orig.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Nice trilobite!  Note that @piranha has discussed these trilobites a few times, such as here, and pointed out that the correct name is Coronocephalus gaoluoensisCoronocephalus jastrowi is almost invariably used by dealers, but the name has never been published and is taxonomically invalid.  Also, like 99% of such specimens (including mine) it is a molt, as the free cheeks are missing.  Still a most impressive trilobite! :wub:

Don

Just now, FossilDAWG said:

Nice trilobite!  Note that Piranha has discussed these trilobites a few times, such as here, and pointed out that the correct name is Coronocephalus gaoluoensisCoronocephalus jastrowi is almost invariably used by dealers, but the name has never been published and is taxonomically invalid.  Also, like 99% of such specimens (including mine) it is a molt, as the free cheeks are missing.  Still a most impressive trilobite! :wub:

Don

Thanks, Don - much appreciated! I'll make the corrections in my database now. I was wondering why I wasn't coming up with any links that weren't to sellers, and now I know why!

These are quite nice, and quite affordable for their size. I figured it was a moult because of the absent cheeks, but at least it has one nice genal spine showing!

57 minutes ago, Kane said:

Completely forgot about this one. A nearly complete, 3 inch (7 cm) Coronocephalus jastrowi from Hunan Prov., China with a whole lot of segments!

Love all of your new stuff! 

i have Ceratarges and Hollardops, but mine aren't as nice as yours.  

I adore the Dolerobacilicus! :wub: and as for the Coronocephalus :drool:

Mrakibina. Easy to pronounce. ;)

Beautiful specimens! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

Love all of your new stuff! 

i have Ceratarges and Hollardops, but mine aren't as nice as yours.  

I adore the Dolerobacilicus! :wub: and as for the Coronocephalus :drool:

Mrakibina. Easy to pronounce. ;)

Beautiful specimens! 

Thanks! I made sure any of the Moroccan bugs were approved by your dear Tidgy first, for as we all know Tidgy is synonymous with trilobite specimen quality control. :D 

And if I say Mrakibina (after Mrakib) enough, it's easy... Typing it quickly, on the other hand, is a bit more of a challenge. :P 

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi All

It is my birthday today and I have a couple of fossils gifts .

A very nice Ludwidgia from the Isle Sky uk. I am very please as I have only ever found one before and I gave that to a friend .

A starfish lot, Eocene London Clay Isle of Sheppey uk very rare from this location . @Tidgy's Dad Any ideas on the starfish 

Thanks for looking. 

Cheers bobby

Hi, Bobby, Happy Birthday ! ! ! !:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

My gift should be with you in a couple of days. Sorry it's a bit late.

The arm in the middle is Teichaster  stokesii and the other arm is Coulonia colei. 

I think the body section is Teichaster stoesii as well, but i am far from certain as I don't have any! 

Excellent ammonites and beautiful starfish! :envy:

Happy Birthday! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

18 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hi, Bobby, Happy Birthday ! ! ! !:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

My gift should be with you in a couple of days.

The arm in the middle is Teichaster  

Happy Birthday! 

Thanks  Adam very kind of you you are a great friend . I was thinking ASTROPECTEN but I think you maybe right. I thought Coulonia colei too. I have been to isle of Sheppy and found some very nice seeds and fruit stones but I didn’t know you could find starfish.  

Cheers Bobby 

52 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks  Adam very kind of you you are a great friend . I was thinking ASTROPECTEN but I think you maybe right. I thought Coulonia colei too. I have been to isle of Sheppy and found some very nice seeds and fruit stones but I didn’t know you could find starfish.  

Cheers Bobby 

If i recall, it used to be called Astropecten but it's been revised. 

I used to have Nipa palm fruits from Sheppey, but they died of pyrites disease. :(

I've still got some nice seeds, though! :) 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Should have done this a LONG time ago, but couldn’t because of the photo problem. Anyways, some two weeks ago I got an awesome package from Doren @caldigger. A big bunch of beautiful fossil seashells (from the Pleistocene) from California!!! As you guys know, seashells are my favorites. And here I definitely got some great ones: bivalves, gastropods and scaphopods. Also, as they are from California, they are all (I think) new species for my collection, which is also fantastic!

Plus, most of the shells are from the Eemian, 120’000 years old, which is exactly the same age as most of the shells at the Zandmotor, my usual hunting spot; so it’s very interesting to be able to compare the different species from the same age. 

He was also very nice to include some surprise fossil shark teeth from STH. Love the colors! 

Basically lots of great new stuff for my collection! Thank you so much Doren for this awesome trade! :D:fistbump:

Best regards,

Max

Nice package! 

Doren is very generous. 

I'm very fond of scaphopods, interesting beasts. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

7 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice package! 

Doren is very generous. 

I'm very fond of scaphopods, interesting beasts. :)

Thanks! And Doren is indeed a very kind guy! Here is a better pictures of the scaphopods (it’s meant to say “shell” instead of “gastropod”):

FAD9149C-9C6E-4D18-AF39-D272E60B7E24.thumb.jpeg.c064002a62674a24a22dcca2dbf963cc.jpeg

Very nice ones, and they are also a new genus for my meager scaphopod collection :)

Max Derème

5 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Thanks! And Doren is indeed a very kind guy! Here is a better pictures of the scaphopods (it’s meant to say “shell” instead of “gastropod”):

Very nice ones, and they are also a new genus for my meager scaphopod collection :)

Nice! 

Yes, they've been around for a long time but have never been a hugely diverse or common group. 

I'm very fond of my few species and recently got a nice Cretaceous one from the Pierre Shale to add to the little group.  

I guess someone, somewhere must specialize in scaphopods. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice! 

Yes, they've been around for a long time but have never been a hugely diverse or common group. 

I'm very fond of my few species and recently got a nice Cretaceous one from the Pierre Shale to add to the little group.  

I guess someone, somewhere must specialize in scaphopods. 

Probably! But I don't think he has many colleagues :blink:

And yeah, it's weird how the scaphopods have always remained a small group, even though they have been present since ages.

Would love to see a picture of your Cretaceous scaphopod! All of mine are Neogene... :D

Max Derème

Yes, it must be a lonely life being a scaphopodologist. 

There's a tiny tip of Dentalium gracile here, bottom centre of the rock. 

Pierre10.jpg.53022b9e9cb56e792d89bb7e0d32c282.jpg

And a much better one here :

5a7c81af366c9_Pierre13.jpg.014a5bb068da0480e558c1ffa01d189c.jpg

You can also see Darth Vader preserved in the top of this last rock. ;) 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

5 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, it must be a lonely life being a scaphopodologist. 

There's a tiny tip of Dentalium gracile here, bottom centre of the rock. 

And a much better one here :

You can also see Darth Vader preserved in the top of this last rock. ;) 

Oh yeah, nice! I saw all the discussion about the Darth Vader skull in the Secret Santa thread, and was so "fascinated" by the face that I forgot to look at the actual fossils :P

Max Derème

Hi 

got a really nice birthday present of the charming @Tidgy's Dad Adam today.  Thank you Adam I am really pleased . It has made my day. You are a good friend indeed.

sorry I will add IDs later.

cheers Bobby 

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi 

got a really nice birthday present of the charming @Tidgy's Dad Adam today.  Thank you Adam I am really pleased . It has made my day. You are a good friend indeed.

cheers Bobby 

Pleasure, old chap. :)

You've been such a friend to me since i started back on the forum. 

Happy Birthday! (a couple of days late) but four days from Fes to your door is astonishing! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Pleasure, old chap. :)

You've been such a friend to me since i started back on the forum. 

Happy Birthday! (a couple of days late) but four days from Fes to your door is astonishing! 

Yeah I was thinking end of next week . I will take the Pepsi challenge and send you a thank you gift out Monday . We  can see how much the uk post is of the pace.

:fistbump: